Turn Signals Not Always Flashing On Decel

buztabuzt

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've read a couple threads and know that the stock flasher relays are sensitive and aftermarket lights (LEDs) tend to cause issues because they don't draw enough current. I'm thinking that MAY be the case here as my rear lights are not stock, front appear to be.

The weird thing is they work >50% of the time. I haven't been riding it a ton as I continue my overhaul, but it seems to fail most often when I'm at steady speed, hit button, slow down. If I'm accelerating seems they work better (presumably higher V from batt/stator). Simple as needing a basic 2 prong relay not sensitive to current draw? I was considering adding a separate brake light and curious if this will further complicate which relay to use. Right now it shares brake/turn.

IMG_20190210_092820_01.jpg IMG_20190210_092818_01.jpg

My original flasher relay was wonky. Sometimes I had to give it a good tap for it to flash. I upgraded to a smaller modern automotive one. I just had to remove the extra prong for the auto cancel and theres relays that will have the prongs reversed, youll need to look at the wire diagrams for the XS and whatever relay you get to match the wires. Or you can switch the wires on the harness plug.

Back