Turn signals work, but wont blink

JonUpNorth

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I've been searching other threads for similar issues or answers and haven't come up with anything concrete, so either I'm blind or have a unique problem...

Anyway when I purchased the bike back in November nothing worked on it, so over time I've replaced most everything that wasn't in tip top shape. Including all the lights. But I'm having a strange problem with my turn signals. Whenever I switch over to indicate a left/right turn the lights come on bright but don't want to flash or blink. I try to pretend to be smart but this problem is kicking my ass pretty good. Could it simply be a bad flasher relay? Although in my mind if that were the case would the lights not come on at all?

Any help on ideas for things to check is greatly appreciated, and if someone has posted a topic similar and I missed it I'm sorry for making a new thread.

Thanks, Jon.

Have you checked the auto-cancel unit? It causes problems more often than not. Disconnecting it and going to a two-prong relay is a safe bet.

Where in Alberta are you, incidentally?

I have a new relay but have yet to install it so I'm not sure, but after doing some reading I'm 99% sure that my issue is simply using the lower voltage LED's over the oldschool bulbs.

We've been living in Medicine Hat for the past 7 years, but I'm originally from Taber. I actually lived in Edmonton for a few years while I was in school, loved it up there.

Oh, yeah, if you're running LEDs a stock flasher relay won't work. I went through two different Canadian Tire allegedly-LED relays before I broke down and ordered one from SuperbrightLEDs.com.

My folks live near Red Deer and I have family in Calgary but I've never been down to Taber.

Hmm, that's exactly where I got mine. It's an EP-34 like Ive read some of the other guys have used. I just tried to hook it up but it's a bit more confusing than I had thought. I believe I have the wiring done up properly. Ground to E, Battery to B, and lights to L. Whats odd though, is theres actually a second relay flasher for the front lights. Is that common? I assume I'm going to have to get another flasher to make it all work now, but that wont be for another few days or so.

There is only one flasher. Power goes to the flasher then to the turn switch. One flasher operates all the turn signals.
Most of the three prong car flashers won't work on these bikes. Best to use a two prong flasher. Plug the two prongs into where the brown wire and brown/white wire in the flasher socket are, ignore the third wire.
Leo

That makes sense. I've been ready to rip out all these stupid LEDS and go back to oldschool lights for the past couple days haha. But I've been trying to make it work with a 3 prong relay, and I'm electricly retarded, so I'll take a break and try again with some new stuff next weekend.

Back