UK license plate size

nickso

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any UK folks know how likely I am to get away with cutting a plate for the MOT?

My understanding is if the letters are the correct size, spacing and font the plate size is irrelevant as long as it doesn't make the plate unreadable.

I want to use what I believe is the bikes original plate but it's fooking massive on the side of a bobber. I want to trim the edges off all four sides.

20130903_185048_zpsa21d8f66.jpg

According to DVLA INF104
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

A minimum 11mm margin all round, incorporating dealer or suppliers postcode name, plus option of your country flag.

Stating which however, I do know some who have cut the size down to a minimum, or placed the plate inside a chrome surrounded mounting without getting failed on this MOT check point.

Some MOT stations show leniency along with loud exhausts, but a police inspection does risk chance of resulting in a cautionary fine.

Is there a reg about mounting it no more than xyz degrees from perpendicular to the road?
If not, why not mount it at a 45 degree angle behind the seat, on top of the rear fender? At 45 degrees, it will appear as if you had trimmed the height.

According to DVLA INF104
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

A minimum 11mm margin all round, incorporating dealer or suppliers postcode name, plus option of your country flag.

Stating which however, I do know some who have cut the size down to a minimum, or placed the plate inside a chrome surrounded mounting without getting failed on this MOT check point.

Some MOT stations show leniency along with loud exhausts, but a police inspection does risk chance of resulting in a cautionary fine.

Hmm 11mm might not be enough, legal plate for MOT and illegal plate on the road it is then :(

Exhausts will be loud but should be OK with my tester, he let my VTR off with noise as an advisory. The police can get to fook as there is still no way for them to test it accurately AKAIK.

Is there a reg about mounting it no more than xyz degrees from perpendicular to the road?
If not, why not mount it at a 45 degree angle behind the seat, on top of the rear fender? At 45 degrees, it will appear as if you had trimmed the height.

In typical Brit style they are ambiguous about the angle....."as close to vertical as reasonably practical"....whatever I want as long as it's readable then.

In typical Brit style they are ambiguous about the angle....."as close to vertical as reasonably practical"....whatever I want as long as it's readable then.

lol I love british laws...

here in holland we have about half a book of rules on the angle of the plate alone, depending on the angle it makes with the road surface, the axle-to-axle line and how it's located under behind or in front of the taillight and everything :wtf:

lol I love british laws... here in holland we have about half a book of rules on the angle of the plate alone, depending on the angle it makes with the road surface, the axle-to-axle line and how it's located under behind or in front of the taillight and everything :wtf:
I'm curious, does the half book come from The Hague or from Brussels :yikes: ?
Sounds like the latter since all those euro-bureau-crats must have lots of spare time given how they have the E.U. economy ticking along like a well-oiled machine and all ...

mines a "special" but the lettering is legal size. passes MOT no probs and its angled at 45' too :)

Back