Universal Petcock Installation

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I installed a new petcock. It fits/works fine BUT ... if I twist or press it at all, a little bit of fuel gets through to my hand somewhere.

A friend of mine mentioned some sort of coating that I should add to the threads before installing ... something that seals the threads? Anyone know about that?

yep, you can use plumbers silicone tape, make sure it can stand gas as some can't.

wrap it around the thread "the wrong way" so it doesn't unwind when you screw it in.

I've had to use string on the tracker as the builder of the tank made the threads very loose, and coated it with some plumbers silicone pipe paste!

I ended up buying high-temp, fuel/oil resistant thread sealer.

After a reinstall, I discovered that the reserve position was a little off due to the shape of the tank. I turned the petcock's placement in the threads (viewed from above, slightly clockwise at an angle), switched to reserve and was sprayed with some gas from "in between off/reserve" pressure.

I probably over-torqued everything (tighter is better stupidity) in hopes of making everything as fuel/air tight as possible.

I didn't expect such a thing to make me so nervous LOL. What's the zen to all of this?

EDIT: After leaving it alone over night, the thread sealer has given it a lot more security. It seems, though, that when I switch between settings ... that's when I feel a little bit of fuel/moisture beneath the gasket next to the switch. I'm lesson concerned, as it's not constant nor is it a free flow drip.

Last edited:
Back