Upgrading to Modern Sportbike Brakes

bcXS400-81

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, I still haven't had a chance to even touch my bikes since I got them a month ago, due to school and work commitments :( , but I'm getting closer to hammering out a plan for the first build. I want to do a cafe for the first bike, and I'm still torn between using the spoked drum wheels or the mags. Either way I need to find an 18" rear for both sets first.

Anyways, I like to idea of possibly running a huge modern sportbike front disk, both for performance and because I love the look of melding vintage style with new technology. Has anyone tried or knows if any modern rotors and calipers would mount up to the stock wheel and fork without too much fab work? Specifically I'm thinking bolt pattern of the rotor or any other fitment issues.

Thanks Drewpy. That's more or less what I expected would be involved in swapping the brakes out to newer kit. Love that blue anodized finish on the caliper, thats exactly what I had in mind, looking at R1 calipers on EBay.

Are those sketches of the caliper mount and rotor spacer the correct dimensions for the xs? or just given as an example?

I bet the braking force one that thing once you get it finished will be ferocious!

There are a few threads knocking around on the internet about this, one of the best is on Travis's older child XS650.com.

This is how a 320mm Brembo looks on an XS400...

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20079.JPG

and the caliper bracket...

2010%20TCU%20BBO%20217.JPG

Go for it mate and tell us how you get on :thumbsup: (with pictures :D)

Caddy

Thanks Drewpy. That's more or less what I expected would be involved in swapping the brakes out to newer kit. Love that blue anodized finish on the caliper, thats exactly what I had in mind, looking at R1 calipers on EBay.

Are those sketches of the caliper mount and rotor spacer the correct dimensions for the xs? or just given as an example?

the sketches are just that, but give you a starting point. It all depends what disk you decide to use!

This sort of thing shouldn't be a huge deal, right? Going from drums to disc involves more parts to be converted, but I figure disc to huge disc is just a bracket for the caliper as long as the rotor fits.

probably the easiest way is to go Drewpies route....he has already figured the donor parts out...he and Cadxs even have the CAD drawings for the custom brackets that you can borrow to get the pieces machined.

Back