Well i got my learners and i'm registered for Leasons. I need Gear.

Just read up on the differences between Snell and DOT; now I am a little nervous about my $60 modular helmet. :/ I'm thinking that there is a reason that no one tries to get the modular ones Snell certified.

I've been using my leather trenchcoat, jeans, steel-toe boots, and thin "leather" mesh gloves since the get-go. Maybe it's time to get proper gear...

Hey guys I made some purchases, quite a few actually.
Here is what i got:
Tourmaster Raven Jacket
Tourmaster Venture air pants
Joe Rocket Orbit Boots
Scorpion EXO-700 Silver
Icon Sub Stealth Gloves

Well take my advise with a grain of salt since i had a metal bar installed in my shoulder from a slow speed wreck at the track last summer :doh: But don't skimp on gear.

I am not a fan of jeans of any kind kevlar infused or otherwise. I do alot of group rides and alot of slow easy rides with newbs just to help get them some time in the seat. I have seen quite a few people go down on roads at slow speeds, and even tip overs in parking lots. I've seen icon jeans rip at the seams and if you slide for more than about 2 seconds, they are trash. I am a fan of leather, the durability and ability to slide on the pavement w/o disappearing is of much more value than textiles tendency to shred away as it moves over pavement. I have seen guys get burns from the heat generated from sliding on the track rather than the actual pavement scraping them wearing leather. Plus the wind protection in my leather gear was WAY better than the old textile Joe Rocket jacket i started out with. Also leather is a bit stiffer in the sleeves and isn't as likely to ride up your arms exposing your elbows and forearms if you end up superman-ing across the pavement. A car cut me off about 6 years ago, pulling into a turn lane. I was only going about 10 mph but i hit the stupid cement curb they put here in Vancouver Wa to mark the lanes and i tipped over. I fell off bicycles as a kid going faster than that, but my textile jacket rode up my sleeve and i had to ride home with bloody elbows. Also if you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend jacket and pants that zip together or have someone who knows how to sew put in a zipper for you. Most jackets come with both halves of the zipper in them so you can sew them into your pants. Zipping them together keeps the jacket from riding up and exposing that nice soft skin on your lower back to the pavement if you fall.

I don't know what the temperatures are like up north, but if it gets warm like 90 + degrees f. black leather sucks! :mad: I learned that the hard way sitting on I-5 in a traffic jam melting and getting dehydrated as the sun pounded down on me on a nice piece of black pavement for about 2 hours. Also lighter colors are easier for people to see and in my opinion a bit safer so they don't pull out in front of you. A good friend of mine has a scorpion florescent yellow helmet that is ugly as sin but everyone sees him coming and he wears an orange mesh vest most of the time too. I might add he never rode home with bloody elbows :)

All my jackets for street or the track have armor for the elbows and spine. Make sure it fits properly cause a nee or elbow pad does no good and is a waste of $ if it slides up to your thigh or rolls around to the front of you arm when you fall.

Rain gear is a good idea and you can get some cheep waterproof stuff. I just wear a thin motoboss rain coat over my leathers I got at cycle gear for less than $20 and columbia waterproof shell ski pants i got on the clearance rack after season sale at a sporting goods store.

Sorry the preacher in me is coming out so i'll finish with this thought. I agree whole heartedly don't buy a used helmet!!! But i am a huge supporter of buying used gear, as long as you can see it before buying it. My track leathers are used, my track boots are used, my street leather pants are used. There are lots of people who spend big $ on gear and then gain weight over the winter or decide that riding isn't for them and they end up on Craigslist or other sites. In fact i have a pair of boots i'm looking to sell to someone way cheep. I got them for a friend and she wore them to the track once for about a total of three hours. They were too tight so i'm selling them for half what they cost new. LINK

Ok stepping off my soap box sorry for the long post.

Ummm... wow... just ... wow

frwinks i think that is a whole 'nother theread on a whole 'nother kind of forum topic :laugh:

(Although i used to wear pantyhose under my cover-alls when i would go pheasant hunting in Eastern Washington in my younger years. Worked well to keep ya warm, I have no idea why)

well it is all orderd and in the mail... and if all goes well and i get to the bank in time i'll be buying the bike today :D

For pants, I wore a textile overpant for years from FirstGear. My first lowside through an intersection, it shredded, and I was fine, but it did ride up (the Doc Martens I was wearing at the time did a great job of soaking up the pavement.) All in all, I ended up with rash on my wrist, and completely trashed clothing.

One or two piece suits you can buy used with no worries. Watch Kijiji, Craigslist, Ebay etc. for deals. I have a two piece full leather race suit with armor that I picked up for $200 in my second year (after the low side) and I've never looked back.

Look for thicker materials, and if it's leather, make sure it has lots of venting (although you can go naked under one piece leathers. Some people even do that for fun, and they aren't even bikers.)

SO the Gear is in the mail everything: boots, gloves, helmet, pants and jacket set me back about 650.it is mostly tourmaster and it has armour and is waterproof, this stuff will be taking me across Canada so it needs to be safe and i want it to last. will post a pic fully attired when it all arrives.

Back