What did you do with your XS today?

Well below freezing all day - too cold to go for a ride.
But my 8 x 12 shed (motorcycle workshop?) came! :laugh:

What? You didn't go out in the black ice and freezing rain yesterday? :yikes: That's more exciting than these guys that try to scrape the footpegs on turns.

Mine is all tucked in for the winter along with my other toys and I plan to leave it that way.

Checked valve adjustment and all were below minimum factory spec. :eek: Calculated the thickness of shims required to get to maximum clearances and bought them from a local Kawasaki dealer as the Yamaha dealer didn't have any in stock. :wtf:

Now I clearly hear the clatter of the valve train! :thumbsup:

Dave

Prepted the gas tank for paint and put my new carb joint covers on, thank you volcomskater77:wink2:

Attachments

• DSC01744.jpg
    DSC01744.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC01745.jpg
    DSC01745.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01746.jpg
    DSC01746.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 170
Dec 3rd: (one day short of last year's final ride)
The drizzle stopped, the fog burned off and the sun came out for a couple of hours this afternoon.
Did 100 kms with one less layer than the last day's ride. It actually hit above 50f (10c) :thumbsup:
So my hands were merely cold but NOT numb.

Got the bike back on the road, perch having finally arrived.

Clutch cable and pull is awesome, though it might need a bit of fine tuning as its engaging a bit soon (right at the start of pull), where as i'd like the clutch to disengage a bit sooner upon take off rather than having to let the lever out nearly all the way.

Other than that ran nice, much much smoother with the new air filter!!!

XSChris you do such a great Job working on your bike I would like to volunteer you to help me with mine:laugh::bike:

If you lived near by I would. I always got my buddies bikes in my shop every winter taking care of them:doh: But they are xs650's. I keep telling them to get a xs400 I like working on them a lot more.

I diagnosed myself with MPD, multiple project disorder. Totally stopped all work on the XS a few months back. But in the downtime I rebuilt my shop with new shelves and more storage, built a minibike (Harbor Freight had a sale on 6.5HP motors, so I HAD to build a minibike) and bought a 1950's Atlas lathe that I'm restoring so I can make some parts for the XS. But winter is here, I'm gonna start wrenching soon and I'll be listing some more parts for sale or trade. Hope you all have a good and safe holiday!

... But my 8 x 12 shed (motorcycle workshop?) came! :laugh:
Finally took a picture of Max's winter home and got it off-loaded. It cam on the slickest rig I've ever seen.
Should be a warmer place for a few hours on a sunny winter afternoon than the open carport. The windows face W-S-W. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• New Bike shop.JPG
    New Bike shop.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 159
If you lived near by I would. I always got my buddies bikes in my shop every winter taking care of them:doh: But they are xs650's. I keep telling them to get a xs400 I like working on them a lot more.

Mine is the 1st bike I ever worked on.Most things are pretty simple for me.Thanks to this site though and people like you its a great place to learn the things a person doesnt know.:thumbsup:

Finally took a picture of Max's winter home and got it off-loaded. It cam on the slickest rig I've ever seen.
Should be a warmer place for a few hours on a sunny winter afternoon than the open carport. The windows face W-S-W. :thumbsup:

a shop with a view:thumbsup: sippin' coffee, strippin' bolts and watching the sunset....lucky dawg:D

Fitted my new seat,shortened and 'mocked up the rear brake rod,made two mesh inserts for the carb bell-mouths and fitted them to the carbs,drank a lot of tea and got bloody cold!!!!! haha.........see my album for latest pics :thumbsup:

My Bike has been neglected for a 2 days now.The day before I ride it for about an hour.It has 1 more ride instore into the storage building then it will hibernate until Spring sometime.

Back