What did you do with your XS today?

Took the XS out of storage today. Got it plated, mounted my Emgo pods, and test rode for half an hour. Got the hanging-idle bug just as the testing finished, so it looks like I'll need those jets I bought after all.
Also dug up the saddle bags that came with the bike. Mounted perfectly along the seat rail. They looked a little old, so I cleaned 'em up and sprayed 'em down with some leather protectant. I'll moisturize them at a later date.
Stopped for a coffee near my place and look what pulled up next to me:

For those of you who don't know what it is (like me), it's a 1980 Honda CB450. And yes, the tach is in a tin can.

Hough your missing the set spring that goes on the sync screw:wink2: You don't want them to go out while your riding.

Attachments

• user3153_pic5389_1399651100.jpg
    user3153_pic5389_1399651100.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 9bddcbaa0dcd95287ac3f9e7f6fbca78.jpg
    9bddcbaa0dcd95287ac3f9e7f6fbca78.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 251
Went out to a cycle boneyard today to look for some parts and get an idea on wether or not Im missing a relay or not.What a waste of time.there isnt a bike in the whole place that hasnt been molested and stripped of everything.Good thing I wasnt just going to the area to stop there I was also fishing a local stream.I cant believe this yard even stays in business.All they have is frames with stripped motors,no handle bars or wiring or nothing.Then they are stacked in there so tight you cant even get around the bikes to look.Those of us here in se lower mi I recogmend not wasting your time going to Eastern Motor cycle salvage.If it was me I`d take what they have in for scrap,they realy need some new inventory in that place.

Got my 18" rear wheel from sayosen the other day. Cleaned everything up,put a new tire tube and band on it. Trued it and balanced it and then took it for a ride:thumbsup: The spoke wheel is about 2 lbs lighter than the stock 16" mag it did have:) Also it goes well with the front now:laugh:

Attachments

• DSC02520.jpg
    DSC02520.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC02519.jpg
    DSC02519.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02518.jpg
    DSC02518.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC02517.jpg
    DSC02517.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC02516.jpg
    DSC02516.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC02515.jpg
    DSC02515.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I got my XS more room in the shed today. Sad sad day at my house sold the little ls2 & parts bike for what I had into them. Now I'm down to 1 bike that I still can't ride yet:(. But I need a garden tractor more than a little toy bike that I can't really use much so the money will go for something useful.

Got my 18" rear wheel from sayosen the other day. Cleaned everything up,put a new tire tube and band on it. Trued it and balanced it and tehn took it for a ride:thumbsup: The spoke wheel is about 2 lbs lighter than the stock 16" mag it did have:) Also it goes well with the front now:laugh:

18 looks really sweet out back. I want to do the same soon

Starred at the frame hanging on the wall in the garage.
Tipped back some brew. :cheers:
Wondered where I'm going to find the machinist to help me mod the fit of wheels to new forks and rear sway bar. And the minor detail of welding on that rear sway bar.

oh, and making my own wiring harness... that too.

small summer projects. :thumbsup:

ps great looking rear xcchris!!

Stripped it down yesterday! The last bolt holding the engine in place is stuck, of course.
PB has been working its way in over night. Will try again today.
20140510_202308.jpg

Removed the sprocket cover to find everything completely encased in grime and somekind of seeds....
20140510_184650.jpg

Did not notice the clutch ball bearing fall out. Hoping the grime retained it in place.

Removed & cleaned the petcock. Plugged the petcock mount and poured evapo-rust into the gas tank. It needs it.
Will bring the tank to a local shop to get it lined. I believe they use Red Kote.

Attachments

• 20140510_184656.jpg
    20140510_184656.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 20140502_205942.jpg
    20140502_205942.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 211
... Tipped back some brew. :cheers: ... small summer projects. :thumbsup: ...
Such optimism, and from Minneapolis no less.
I'm way down south of you, but still remain skeptical. I think Winter'14 :yikes: will have one more cruel joke.
Today was a nice teaser though, I have to admit ...

Went on a group ride yesterday. I rode just over 400 km (248 miles) over 8 hours (including stops) without any mechanical issues. It was sunny and reasonably warm at 18C (64F), but windy. We rode on back roads, gravel roads, closed roads (by going through ditches to get around the barricades), and reclaimed rail lines. The crushed stone on the rail lines was a bit too much for my street tires. But, I made it without dropping the bike, unlike a couple guys on proper dual sport bikes.

I switched to reserve on my way home at just below 1/4 on my gas gauge after 325km of hard riding. I decided to refuel at 1/8th and 350 km because the gauge was dropping quickly. I only got 16.5L into the tank, so I had at least 3.5L remaining. I guess the sending unit isn't linear. I averaged 4.84L/100km (20.7 km/l, 48.6 US MPG, 58.4 UK MPG). I know that the jetting is a bit rich right now, so with that corrected and less aggressive riding I should make my 400+ km (248+ mile) goal per tank without a problem.

To those who want to change their gearing to lower the engine RPM's, don't do it unless you are trying to raise your top speed. I was cruising at 90 kph (56 mph) at 6000 RPM with the throttle just barely open. I had to use my throttle lock to keep from closing the throttle every time I hit a bump. Opening the throttle fully at that speed resulted in the bike surging forward and the front wheel getting light. Pulling away from a new Triumph Tiger 900 who was also hard on the throttle induced a large smile on my face! :)

To those who want to change their gearing to lower the engine RPM's, don't do it unless you are trying to raise your top speed. I was cruising at 90 kph (56 mph) at 6000 RPM with the throttle just barely open. I had to use my throttle lock to keep from closing the throttle every time I hit a bump. Opening the throttle fully at that speed resulted in the bike surging forward and the front wheel getting light. Pulling away from a new Triumph Tiger 900 who was also hard on the throttle induced a large smile on my face! :)

Good to hear you're enjoying the 17-38 gearing. I'll probably need to change my chain this season and I think I'll switch over to 17-38 from the stock 16-35 to give it a bit more zip. Most of my riding is around town anyway.

Do you have a different tank on your Maxim? I think I need to switch mine over to reserve after I've used around 10L.

Do you have a different tank on your Maxim? I think I need to switch mine over to reserve after I've used around 10L.

I do. The tank is from an FJ600. Supposedly 21L capacity and it has a fuel level sending unit. I put exactly 20L into it and still had space for more.

Most people now think my Maxim is a modded Seca, if they have any idea at all. ;)

Hough your missing the set spring that goes on the sync screw:wink2: You don't want them to go out while your riding.

I guess I never had one....not adding one now. Four years of riding without it.

....Who am I kidding?....I'm not one to let "not quite right" be "good enough."

In any event, bench synced, got them on the bike and started it up. After getting it warm and adjusting the idle, I put it on what some people here believe to be my comically oversized manometer. Just from the bench sync, the levels were within about an inch and a half. I little tuning, and they are perfectly level now and I let it idle like that for several minutes. Clean carbs are beautiful, but clean carbs with new throttle shaft seals are spectacular. It ran very well clean carbs before, but the idle would bump up and down a couple of hundred rpm. But now, the idle is just dead steady- no variance at all. It's really nice.

Back