what handle bars should i get?

Started it with the clutch in. When the bike reved up i thought it was going to explode so i guess I panicked and just let go of the handle bars which dropped the clutch into first. Sucky thing is I normally start in neutral but not this time. So i went along for a ride right at my apartment. Started to fall off the bike when it hit the wall and I hit the back of the bike. Smashed my taillight and bent rear fender. Now i'm super sore this morning. Sucks cause I broke the front AND the back of the bike.

Anybody know where to get some new forks and a taillight?

That sounds a bit like the time I tried to teach my 14 year old daughter to ride. I was on the back of the bike talking her through the throttle/clutch magic that needs to happen in order to get the bike moving. I thought I was explaining about feathering out the clutch... She thought the clutch was more like an on/off switch...

A fist full of throttle, pop the clutch, and dad's weight hanging off the back end of the bike. Not a good combo. UP goes the front tire. OFF goes dad. She panics and hangs on to the handlebars (and throttle), and takes off a bit down the road. Bike comes up and over, and she finds herself on the ground under the bike. :)

She now has a better understanding of what a clutch is and how it works. <BFG>

Ha ha. Green means on for sure. Whats funny Is just this week i had started trying to get into that habit. Thats irony.

That sounds a bit like the time I tried to teach my 14 year old daughter to ride. I was on the back of the bike talking her through the throttle/clutch magic that needs to happen in order to get the bike moving. I thought I was explaining about feathering out the clutch... She thought the clutch was more like an on/off switch...

A fist full of throttle, pop the clutch, and dad's weight hanging off the back end of the bike. Not a good combo. UP goes the front tire. OFF goes dad. She panics and hangs on to the handlebars (and throttle), and takes off a bit down the road. Bike comes up and over, and she finds herself on the ground under the bike. :)

She now has a better understanding of what a clutch is and how it works. <BFG>

that's funny underdog :laugh:

It's amazing that someone could almost drive trough a wall with a two-wheeler.
I would definitely froze to death in the winter if we had that thin walls.

But as far as the topic goes I am looking for some new bars as well. I really want to give my ride a street bike look. You know matt black or gold with low rise. I really like the Renthal bars but these are way too expensive.

I'm sorry, but those pics and your story is freakin hilarious. I can't stop laughing. I'm not being a dick, but that is some funny sh!t. I wish I had some spare parts to send you. It's a good thing that your house is not made out of brick.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't think a sarcastic comment is in order, but for all reading this, if you have a center stand, use it might save you. My friend did something similar but had his on the centre stand and the bike did a 180 in the air and ended up face down.

At least I have insurance on it but it's likely they will try and just total it out. I hope they fix it though.

Bikes can be fixed, walls can be fixed. I'm glad *you* aren't in need of major repairs.
Like I tell my sons, our mistakes can be our best teachers if we listen to the lesson. Thanks for being willing to share what happened, it just might save a noob to cycles (like me) from having the same thing happen.

yeah when working on your bikes take a minute to go through everything you messed with before you try to take off for the day

At least I have insurance on it but it's likely they will try and just total it out. I hope they fix it though.
I was reading somewhere that the blue book value is a ridiculously low price on these bikes,I may be wrong,but it seems like it was like$375 for average,excellent about $600. Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but I was kinda surprised,but when I thought about it,I wasn't too much anymore.They may offer you a couple hundred and let you keep it,figuring it not to be worth putting at auction.

Remember, when our bikes were new, the price was only in the low teens so after 30+ years, they won't have much value unless they begin to climb in value as collectible - and I don't really think that has begun to occur.

Back