what handle bars should i get?

what's with that avatar psuedo???

That's the first thing that I built in Minecraft (I'm a dork); it's the "believe" symbol by the band "Disturbed". I stumbled across it while looking for pics of my bike to post, then I thought "yeah, that pretty much explains me."

KBB says mine goes from $440 to $790.

When you got that number,you entered your zip code,right? Enter a zip out in the middle of nowhere and see what you get. I entered mine,and that's what I got,not a huge difference. The condition for the high number is for a NOS bike,is yours? lha

So Insurance gave 1,100 for the bike and I got to buy it back for 120$ WIN!!! Now All i need is some fork tubes. Dealership wants 190$ each for new tubes and they don't recommend used because of pitting. I think that's bull. Anybody have suggestions?

philpots in uk hard chrome them, you could get the originals straightened.

A decent shop should be able to advise

I've done straightening of my tubes its really not that hard. I know it seems daunting but trust yourself all you need is two v-blocks a dial indicator with magnetic base a sharpie and a hydraulic press (if you don't have one find a friend with one and use there's) if you figure in the cost of buying new or used ones a hydraulic press from princess auto (canada) or harbour freight in the us is not much more then a hundred on sale.

I put the tube in v blocks and find where the worst of the bend is mark that then work backwards mabey 4 or 5 inches either side of the high point and make a couple more marks. Its usually best not to try and straighten the whole tube find where it is bent and just work that area.

Next step put your v-blocks on the press with the v-blocks at the second mark out from the centre of the bend. Now put your indicator on the press and against the tube spin it till the bend is at its highest point and bring the ram down on it with something between the ram and tube like hard plastic or aluminum so you don't scratch the tube.

You need to over bend it to get it to go staright just take it easy and go slow till you get a feel you may have to move the v-blocks around depending on how bad your bend is. If you have a kink in the tube though just scrap them they will bend at that point again.

I've taken out bends of .125 (1/8). I did one of my tubes last week and its within 2 thou. I'll attach a little picture I did in paint (I'm sorry if it gets huge never inserted a paint picture before) the square in the middle above the tube is supposed to be the ram on the press.

Good Luck. Mabey I should do that again one day and take pictures so more people can figure out how to do it.

Shaun

P.S if I've left something out feel free to ask or clarify

Attachments

• fork tube.PNG
    fork tube.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 219
So another question. My title will be a salvage title. What is that going to do to the resale value of my bike?

no need to be concerned about resale on a early eighties bike. you will never get over 1K for it anyways. no biggie! Now go buy some used forks.

Back