What operating system are you using on your computer?

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Me I have 3 computers running windows 7.! running vista,1 running ubunto,1 running xp which Im fixing to update to vista.
Now which operating system do like the most?I like 7 better than all I have.I dont have 8 and probaly never will.I liked xp back in its day it ran on praticaly any computer.I just recently got a hold of vista which is similair to win 7 but actualy has more features under the hood than windows 7 except it lacks the drivers that win 7 has..So I have say windows 7 is pretty good has a driver for most everything is lighter on resources.Ubunto is its own beast all together and if you been using windows all your life you probaly wont like it although for a linux distro I find it most user friendly than most derivitives.
Cant wait till win 9 comes out sometime this fall.

My computer: Kubuntu 12.04, My son's computer/laptop: Kubuntu 12.04, Old piece of crap computer I use for nothing but Quickbooks: Windows XP (I'd love to run quickbooks under wine or in a virtual machine on my Kubuntu box and get rid of the crap box), My wife's computer: Windows 8 (she's just not interested in learning Linux ), Rarely used Ipad:whatever Apple OS it came with, another tablet: Linux/Android

Very user friendly, in my opinion. My son (now 22 yrs old) started with Kubuntu at about 13 and has never really had to learn any significant amount of "Linux Stuff". I've been using Kubuntu for longer than that and have always liked it. It "seems" lighter and faster than Ubuntu although I have never done any real performance comparison. I used Ubuntu with Gnome and Enlightenment at work (before retiring) and Kubuntu seems more intuitive to me. I also used to use Xubuntu on a lightweight system that was my personal desktop for a few years and that was also fairly user friendly and intuitive.

Well this particular machine is my experimental os machine.right now it has Unbunto a very old version.I tryed installing version 8.6 or something and after shutting the machine down it wouldnt let me log in.If I remeber correctly I had the same problem with use 11.3.The install went good but I kept having to use root to login which I guess isnt rerogmended.Mind you I dont much about the linux so its all new to me.Im trying to get away from using windows operating systems and use free open source os.From what i read theres many of them out there.I remeber trying slackware and redhat a long time ago.I guess those versions are dust now.One thing thats good is I have alot of hard drives that i can experiment and install different os`s on.Or if I dont like them after install I`ll just wipe the disk and install something else.I remember at some point with suse you could upgrade to newer version just by uploading from their server.Im not sure if you can do that now or not.

I'm a Mac guy. Have been for almost 20 years. I'm running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard server, OS 10.8 Mountain Lion and OS 10.9 Mavericks on various Macs in the house and workshop. And of course iPhones and iPads with the latest iOS. I have virtual machines running Windows 98, 2000, and XP. I tried the beta of Windows 8 and hated it. The only Linux box I'm currently running is a raspberry pi running RASPBX for my home phone system.

Being a Mac consultant means I don't have a lot of time, or interest, to play with other OSs, nevermind PC hardware.

Scorpio193,
Slakware and Redhat are both still vibrant distributions and both have strong followings, but the specific versions you were trying are probably outdated. I've been using Linux since around 1998 and have had very few problems installing. The Ubuntus and variaent are fairly well optimixed for easy install. I'd use the most avalable version (14.4) if installing a fresh system. Another very popular version is Mint. Based on Ubuntu but reported to be among the most user friendly. Except for Quickbooks, I'm completely Open source.

I never used a mac heard nothing but good about them and their prices reflect the quality of the machines.I have been wanting to build me a mac clone for a while now.Winter and the rainy season is my time to play around and either build new computers or experiment with different hardware and os`s.Im more of a mechanical person so my passion is building the machines but as time goes by Im learning more about the software aspect of it all.This past winter I started getting into networking and built me a file server for my main hub that all my computers are connected to via wireless connections.I have tendacy to upgrade to the lastest hardware every few years or so.My last project got put on hold cause of the financial resources or what little of them I have are going into other projects right now.Before the tablet and computer phone boom hit I used to build machines to sell so now Im stuck 3 computers that noone wants to buy.

16VTIDave,

I'm looking into running an Astrix PBX system to replace the completely free national calling Google Voice setup (OBi ATA box plugged into my switch one one end and configured to use Google Voice and plugged into my home phone wiring on the other end)I've had for the past 3 years since Google stopped support for xmmp. Would you care to elaborate on your phone setup a little? Are you using a SIP provider? Any info would be appreciated.

Get yourself a Raspberry Pi and install rasPBX. Once the initial setup is complete, you can run it headless. All further setup and administration is done via a web interface. The raspberry pi is inexpensive, tiny, silent and uses next to no power. It has plenty of processing power as long as you aren't trying to record multiple calls simultaneously.

I have 2 ATA's connected, one routes my PSTN to the pbx and connects some of my home phones. The other ATA is for my office and workshop phone lines. I have 4 IAX trunks (currently with voip.ms) and my PSTN (SIP from my ATA). I've found that IAX is an easier protocol to work with as compared to SIP, especially when dealing with NAT, port forwarding, etc.

Hope that helps!

DarkMidnightWarrior
Get yourself a Raspberry Pi and install rasPBX. Once the initial setup is complete, you can run it headless. All further setup and administration is done via a web interface. The raspberry pi is inexpensive, tiny, silent and uses next to no power. It has plenty of processing power as long as you aren't trying to record multiple calls simultaneously.

I have 2 ATA's connected, one routes my PSTN to the pbx and connects some of my home phones. The other ATA is for my office and workshop phone lines. I have 4 IAX trunks (currently with voip.ms) and my PSTN (SIP from my ATA). I've found that IAX is an easier protocol to work with as compared to SIP, especially when dealing with NAT, port forwarding, etc.
All greek or geek to me also.:laugh:

16VGIDave,
I've thought about experimenting with a RasPi but haven't gotten around to it. The RasPBX might just push me over the edge. I'm looking for a way to get the completely free national calling I have with Google Voice. The OBI box is trivial to set up, no real need to fiddle with the protocols at all. I'm fairly competent with Linux and routing but a real newbi at PBX and telephony in general.

Google Voice was noted to be merging Google Voice into Google Hangout and eliminating the XMMP protocol support used by the OBI box on 5/15 but I'm still connected and can make and receive calls as of today.

I have question about xp if the support for this operating system ended on April 8th this year then why am I still able to get all the updates for the operating system?The only thing I see that isnt supported is browsers like IE 8 which doesnt matter to me anyways.I have been using a browser called slim browser for a while now and it has more features than what ie could ever think of.

The RasberryPi (RasPi since I am too lazy to continue spelling it out) is a tiny ARM based processor single board computer available for around $35. It runs Linux (compiled for the ARM processor rather than the x86 processors on PCs). IIRC it includes an SD slot, USB, HDMI, WiFi, ethernet, and I2C interfaces. I believe there are versions of Ubuntu available for download for the RasPi

So I looked this up and it doesnt even look anything like the traditional mother board.Can you hook up all the perifials like a regular pc.What kinda of case does it fit in?

Attachments

• Raspi.jpg
    Raspi.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 291
Back