What tires should I get?

Ok I went and found the sizes of the tires on my bike and came up with some realy odd numbers
Rear is 120/90/16 and front is 90/90/18
Can somebody explain to me what these numbers mean?
Im ass uming the 1st #`s mean height and 2cnd is width and the last is rim size.Is this correct?
Also can I go up to 130 on the rear and what are the pro`s and con`s.Thanks Aaron.
Oh also I dont have a motorcycle jack or tire changer but providing I can somehow get the jack how do I remove the rim and tire from the bike ,then can I take the tire and rim to tireshop to have it mounted and balanced?

I think the advantages bc pointed out are spot on. The rear wheel is very easy to take off. 1) take off chain and brake linkage. 2) Take off rear nut and slide out axle bolt. Its all in the manual. Also, I just put the bike on the center stand to take it off, so if you have a center stand you should be able to do it.

I think stock on my bike is 120/90/18 rear and 90/90/18 front. I want to set it up 130/90/18 rear and 100/100/18 front. Does anyone see any problems with this idea or has anyone tried this combo?

So one other question can I go up on the front tire size also like from a 90 to 100?
Yes I was a mechanic and still do auto mechanic work WHEN I can.But my expereince working on bikes is lacking.My XS400 is my 1st bike.I wanting to setup the tire combo the same as ksqrly

Last edited:
I got a caliper and measured 5mm on each side of my tire and it seems it will clear, but no guarantees. I wish I knew for sure, cuz Im on a budget.

Ok I went and found the sizes of the tires on my bike and came up with some realy odd numbers
Rear is 120/90/16 and front is 90/90/18
Can somebody explain to me what these numbers mean?
Im ass uming the 1st #`s mean height and 2cnd is width and the last is rim size.Is this correct? ...
I think not correct. It's just like car tires: tread width/ tire height (as a %) then wheel diameter.

So, your 16" rear tire has a tread that's 120 cm wide. Height of the tire is 90% of 120 cm (= 108 cm). A "90-Series" tire, if you will.
Your 18" front tire has a tread width of 90 cm and a tire height of 90% of 90 (=81 cm).

Thanks guys so now I need some feed back on switching tire sizes on the front from 90 to 100 and if the tire combo Im wanting to try is going to mess up the calibration on my speedo?:shrug:
I`ll probaly be getting the tires in a couple of weeks or if anything get the front first since its the worst.Too bad cause its got great tread but rotted on the side.The back is ok but I want to change to a more aggressive tread.

Going from a say 90/90-18 to a 100/90-18 on the front won't throw the speedo off much.
I once had a chart listing the amount the speedo is off from the tire height. It's long gone now. I can't recall exactly the amounts but I think a 1/2 difference in tire height was a 1 mph change.
A 90/90-18 is about 24.4 inches tall, A 100/90-18 is about 25 inches tall. That's a .6 inch difference or a bit over 1 mile and hour.
Not enough to worry about.
Leo

What LR said, but mm not cm! :)
Who said the decimal system was easy?

Going from a say 90/90-18 to a 100/90-18 on the front won't throw the speedo off much.
I once had a chart listing the amount the speedo is off from the tire height...
I found a chart which allows one to input bike tire sizes and calculate the difference in rolling circumferences.According to it, going from 90/90/18 to 100/90/18 increases the rolling circumference by 2.9%. So a 100 mile trip on the regular tire would be 97.1 miles on the larger tire. :wink2:
If the size were available, one could substitute a 100/80/18 for a difference of only 0.4%. The 100 mile trip would now be 100.4 miles.

Yes, some of the earlier models used an 18 inch on both the front and rear. When they started to style the bike after the Harley cruisers they went to the 16 inch rear.
Leo

It is similar with the DOHCs too.
The Seca uses 18" wheels both front and back and the Maxim goes up an inch on the front to 19" and down 2" to 16" on the back.
So, there is a "look" for everyone to love. :heart:

I just hope the stylists don't get too carried away - like the bike people did:

Attachments

• PF.jpg
    PF.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 282
Another thing. On the 400 I have the rear tire should be a 120/90-16. A 130 is a very tight fit. Need to cut back the chain gaurd. But still rubs on the chain.
A 120/90-16 isn't made by too many tire companies.
On those high wheel bikes, you can only pedal so many rpms. A taller tire lets you go farther per revolution so the taller the tire the faster you can go.
Leo

Good info on tire sizing guys. Im sure this will help alot of people that want to buy new tires.

I'm using Bridgestone BT 45...120/80 on the rear and 110/IdontRemember front, both 18''.
Awesome tires...I used them for months on a CRF 450 in all conditions, never let me down. Yes, they are not the sportiest tires around but for the XS are more than enough

I have another tire question,would 110 90 16 be ok for the rear?I can get a hell of a deal on one for $24 brand new shinko.
Usualy everyone wants to know how wide of tire they can use but is the 110 too narrow or will be ok?

Check out question #246 in the eBook link below. Provided you are sure that you have stock wheels and are sure that Yamaha didn't call for more than 120s, according to this author, you would be okay. Your revs will go up a bit at any given speed but that may not be an issue for you.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=VAhmf4efuHAC&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=can+you+put+a+smaller+tire+on+a+motorcycle&source=bl&ots=F3mutF-akX&sig=fIDiCh6mwCS9poRt7BqlnmRlcZs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=calgUvCBKtXJ4AP-_IDADA&sqi=2&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=can%20you%20put%20a%20smaller%20tire%20on%20a%20motorcycle&f=false

Back