Wheel covers - worth the effort?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I notice that a lot of the nicest japanese chops of old Harleys have wheel covers on the back wheel, a look I really like.

I have a couple of covers that fit the diameter of the rear rim perfectly so I pulled the wheel off to do a test fit.

I have a pic attached. The pic is kinda crappy, sorry.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 393
I like it, but only with spokes up front. :)

From what I can see your bike can pull it off.
But as above stated, in the end its your bike, your decision. Take a chair, a cold one and stare at it for a while and it will come to you. :)

I think they look outstanding!, where'd you get them?, I need some, I have been looking for a 19" dia. for a couple of years for the front of my Suzuki GN250 rat bike, I found a couple of aluminum sandwhich trays for the back wheel at the dump a couple years ago

I think they look outstanding!, where'd you get them?, I need some, I have been looking for a 19" dia. for a couple of years for the front of my Suzuki GN250 rat bike, I found a couple of aluminum sandwhich trays for the back wheel at the dump a couple years ago
The are mid 80's chevy pickup caps.

BTW, I'd like to see that bike!

my GN250 is the 4th pic . . I really like that rear wheel you have goin' on there!. They look like they might be off a 3/4 or one 1 ton? did you have to cut 'em down at all?

http://www.xs400.com/media/albums/129/
Thats a true RAT!

As far as I know the only trucks that had them are C1500 and C2500 88/89. I have never seen them on anything else.

I had to remove the crimp ring from the lip and of course cut the holes needed for the hub. The diameter is perfect.

I really like them too. I built new handlebars this past weekend too and the bike is really coming together. Just need a 21" wheel and all will be finished...who am I kidding, finished.

Back