When sparking becomes arcing...

Supercoyote

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've been trying to hunt down why I have arcing on my points, but I realized today I don't know if small sparks are ok. Should I see any light coming off the points while the bike is running? Before I've had big yellow sparks, but now I have small blue sparks that resemble a very weak spark plug. I assume there shouldn't be anything at all? Or is it impossible to have a perfect contact through the points without any light being given off in the form of sparks/arcs?

the condensor elimates arcing, otherwise yout contacts will spark erode away in a very short time

I'd the lights are all off, you can see small blue sparks appear. Not shooting off laterally like when they're dirty, but a consistent, blue spark less than the size you'd see on a healthy set of spark plugs

It sounds very much like your condenser, is US (Unserviceable) and should be replaced a.s.a.p! If you don't, you will be replacing your pitted points, at regular intervals!

Merlin

To bring closure to this:

Don't use generic resistor-less plug caps. I threw on the old plug caps for fun and the sparking disappeared entirely. Strange, since I had 5k ohm resistor plugs, but I don't know what the specs are for the old plug caps, so there's that.

Back