xs400 brat build log, here we go

VICTORY_OR_BUST

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So all of a sudden I got a bug to do another bike build, My first was doing up a 2007 victory vegas which i found out was way too much fucken money when it was done so now im doin a budget build, i've bought most of the stuff off here and i'm keeping my budget under $1,000 including the bike which i bought for $400 bucks so the race is on...... im gonna use 11" progressives in the rear and i've got an alien tank as well as redoing the wiring to simplify things not many pics yet but ill work on it, took a few last night after i tore it down, o ya this thing runs like a champ already replaced the needles and seats and put on new carb holders now i gotta get pod filters and an exhaust built out of a brass headboard i got for free o yes. anyway i have already ran into my first problem, the alien tank is all set up for single back bone which i have but as you can see in the pics the bars the coils mount on keep it from sinking down to where it should be so.................

my question to you guys is can i cut them off and then cut out the ugly factory neck gusset and then beef that fucker up with my own new gusset and still be safe? i also want to stretch the backbone a bit as the alien is a little long on the back bone anyone have advice or ideas?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 362
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 402
I don't see why you couldn't cut the gusset out as long as your sure of your welding ability. You can relocate the coils in-line under the tank that should still hide them.

It would be a good idea to brace the frame behind the original gusset before cutting it apart. Just weld a piece of angle far enough back to still allow you access for cutting and welding. Fit is king in welding where you don't want distortion so make sure it fits perfect with no gaps and it should twist. Just keep the heat under control around the neck so you don't egg shape it. I would leave an old set of races in there to keep it in shape.

Shaun

thats a good idea shaun, what im gonna do is get everything fit up and sparked in place and have my buddy tig weld everything the dudes a fricken pro so i think it should work out

hmm not to sure about that. I've never really looked at how the bike is structurally with just a single backbone. I know guys have done it. You may want to look around the site and see what others did when going to a single backbone. Or if you know an engineer that would be great .

Shaun

well i actuallty found a tank i want to use more by accident and i think it has a wider tunnel, otherwise ive got my buddy who owns a fab shop gonna take a look and see what we might be able to do

put coils anywhere you want to! don't have to be around the tank. If yu have aftermarket ones, you can get longer HT leads and fit behind the engine!

Back