xs400 hydraulic clutch possible?

chopin2323

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I recently helped a friend switch his 81 xs650 to a hydraulic clutch. I am now really wanting to do the same conversion on a 81 xs400. Is this possible? Everywhere I have looked I only have found it for the xs650. Didnt find anywhere on the forums about this. Maybe it is in here somewhere deep; sorry if it is and I missed it.

Edit: Sorry, this was meant to be placed in the "Clutch" section of the forums.

I think the reason some xs650 guys do it is because they can be hard to pull. But the pull on the 400's are much easier than the 650.

I was going to ask that earlier cause our clutches don't take much effort to squeeze them,If a person had arthritic hands like me I could see where it help.

Would you be able to upgrade to performance clutch springs if you did though? Don't know if it will help much, but seems like you could gain some over there if you wanted :shrug:

I have HD springs in my 80 and it is not much harder to pull than the stock ones in the 79. With only a 4 spring clutch there is not a lot of effort needed:laugh:

So my original reason for this post was because I had been fixing up an xs400 for my girlfriend and the clutch was pretty stiff and she couldnt pull it in without white knuckling it. I pulled apart the clutch and got it all freed of gunk and it is soooo much easier to pull in now. By the by, these bikes are awesome!! Lil jealous of her bike now.

Back