XS400 paint help

philshizle

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey i just got a 1982 xs 400 in great shape. I love it. The previous owner tried to paint it himself and it was very bad. So i plan on redoing it. I already took off all the plastics, and tank and am ready to sand. I am using this video as sort of my guide.
i have access to all these tools and also a duel action sander. I was wondering if i could use that to sand down the tank. I will probably go a lot closer to stripping it to metal with the tank but the rest isnt to bad. Also what grits should i use for the sander if i should use it? Also one of the side covers (i will be painting it) has a crack in it. How should i fix it? the guy in the video explained how to fix fiberglass but i am pretty sure the side covers are plastic. Thanks and i am new to the forum so be nice if i didnt put it in the right place or something:thumbsup:

You don't have to remove all the paint, just scuff it up and fill any imperfections. I would sand by hand personally because the surface area is relatively small.

Sand paper grit just depends on you; how anal are you about the finish being perfect? If you want it perfect, start rough and go down to 1000+ and wet sand.

Fix the cracks in the side cover by stitching and filling it with abs plastic and a soldering iron. Alternatively you can use fiberglass; it works great on plastic.

In my experience good lighting made a HUGE difference in quality.

Definitely wet sand by hand prior to painting. Since it is only old paint you are sanding off I would start with a 220 grit followed by a 400 if you plan to primer first and then 600 after the primer or if you don't plan to primer.

I found in all my painting. The base coat can be any type of rattle can you want... (but do not use enamel) Then if you want to use it on a motorcycle you will need to get a spray gun and buy some 2K clearcoat to finish it off. Otherwise you will lose the paint at your local gas station. lol.

Sand with 600-1000 between two or three coats of clear, then a final wet coat. Good lighting, and dust free to avoid specs....

I have in the past, when i did not have a spraygun, taken the tank after base coating and sanding as smooth as possible, to my local hot rod paint/body shop along with a case of beer, and left it and the beer overnight. Miraculously the tank was done the following day... Strange... I could not for the life of me find that 12 pack of beer i left...

Mike...

IMHO (pro bodyman)..... I say strip everything to the substrate and start from new. That way you know your base is good. Especially since the PO painted it, you don't know what's hiding under there.

Here's my system for steel parts:

-Strip to metal. Can be done with 80g on sander, or chemically
-Repair dents. Filling small ones, or pulling large ones. Start with 80 and move up to 220.
-Spray epoxy primer (AKA non sanding, self-etching)
-Spray sandable filler primer
-Sand the primer after it's dry with 400g then 600g (800g if it's a light colored metallic)
If it's being painted black or dark blue, I would sand with 500g wet, then 1500g wet, then 2000g wet.
-Clean it. You can't get it too clean.
-Mask off everything you don't want painted. Don't forget the gas filler hole and underneath the tank. Dust comes from everywhere.
-Clean it again
-Spray basecoat on. Blending agent first if it's metallic paint. Wait appropriate flash times depending on what you use.
-Spray clear on.
If the finish it's too dry (looks like an orange peel) or has runs/dust specs; wet sand with 2000g and either re-clear or polish until you get it where you want it.

Plastic is basically the same, only use 220 to strip it, and wetsand it with 400g or 500g BEFORE you prime it. Not many people do this... and it makes a huge difference.

Prime the parts with a plastic primer, then sand with 400g up to 600g and then 800g.

To repair the plastic, 3M makes great products. It's like JBweld for plastic. You file out the crack, fill it, then sand it smooth and primer over top.

The rest is the same as above.

The end result is 100% based on what you do before paint. I always hear people saying "prep is 80% of the work"... but it's not. You could have the best painter in the world with the most expensive paint spray something that hasn't been cleaned or masked... and it will look like crap.

Take your time and it will be worth it in the end.
Good luck!

Plenty of time is a must. I've been prepping my custom saddlebags for the last week and still have about 10-20% more to go. I like to wet sand the primer up to 2000g so I get a better idea of what the color coats will look like. Adhesion promoter afterward tends to be necessary, but you don't waste any of your color paint if you catch a mistake.

well i stripped most of the stuff and i used perma poxy to fix the fearing. Its really strong so i am happy. I bought some bondo to fill in the tank sides because the logos etc are in bad shape. Also i was wondering what the settings on the gas on/off is. There is a PRI setting and when i was draining the tank it was the only one that really let any out. reserve (RES) and ON didnt seem to drain that much. Is it just me?

images

Reserve and On shouldn't let any out, since they are actuated by the vacuum produced on the carb boots. The book says to put it on reserve so that you can't bump it and accidentally spill gas out.

hey guys what do u think of the dupli color metallic clear coat? i am thinking of doing jet black then a metallic clear coat(all will be done with my air gun). any suggestions on what the best way to do the metallic clear coat?

I have only ever done metallic in the base coat. I think it might be fine in the clearcoat but you might need to final coat with another clear coat that has no metallic. Make sure it is the 2K variety that requires you mix the clear coat with a hardener. That basically means it dries chemically rather than simply with air. And dammm they are expensive. I paid 38 dollars for a quart of paint. with the other components. I like duplicolour, and have used it in the past....

Back