XS400 Rear Wheel (Disc) Options

eggcob

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here. Currenty building up a cafe based around an XS400 (81) and am looking for a rear mag wheel with disc to fit it (the special has drum rear). I have a matching disc swing arm but am struggling to find a wheel.

Does anyone know if any other 18" yamaha wheel would fit (ie xs500).

Many thanks :)

Hi,

I'm new here. Currenty building up a cafe based around an XS400 (81) and am looking for a rear mag wheel with disc to fit it (the special has drum rear). I have a matching disc swing arm but am struggling to find a wheel.

Does anyone know if any other 18" yamaha wheel would fit (ie xs500).

Many thanks :)

i personally dont care, but some would like a intro before you drill us with ?'s
welcome

i personally dont care, but some would like a intro before you drill us with ?'s
welcome

Good point! 29 years old, living in Derbyshire UK (probably should have mentioned that), work in a motorcycle dealership doing IT/Website design. Everyone thinks I'm mad buying something that's not modern. Bought the bike as a project for me and my dad. Will eventually use it to commute to work (currently cycle).

Picked up a strange xs400 81 Special that has had a 360 engine plonked in for £400 quid from ebay. Currently stripping it down and cleaning/service. Much prefer older bikes for their simplicity.

Had a good search on ebay for xs250/400 rear disc wheels in the UK and came up with nothing :(. There are few xs500 wheels, but I have the feeling these are similar to the xs650 wheels with a larger axle (could be wrong)?

Update: Looks like the xs500 and xs400 both share the same rear wheel shaft part no. Will see if I can find any cheap 500 wheels

Last edited:
welcome eggcob.

keep checking ebay, there's loads of wheels that come up all the time.

don't forget the 250 is exactly the same and there are more of them about.

The late 70's xs400's came with 18" rear mags with disks. This is in US and Canada though, so I'm not sure if it was the same in the UK. It would be nice to find something on your side of the pond, since shipping would be killer otherwise. Hopefully Drewpy will chime in, if anyone in the UK has a line on xs400 parts it would be him.

Eggcob, welcome to the forum :thumbsup: I have an 18" XS400 rear wheel and disc for sale. I also have the swingarm, caliper and m/c if you need them. Send me a pm if interested.

Thanks guys, all very helpful stuff! I still have alot to learn about these bikes. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers :thumbsup:

welcome!!
and if you stumble across an xs650 for cheap and think about getting one, just know that the axle size on those is 20mm instead of 17mm like the 400. might need to drill out the plates in the swing arm more or something. ask HT77 he knows about xs650 wheels on 400's.

welcome!!
and if you stumble across an xs650 for cheap and think about getting one, just know that the axle size on those is 20mm instead of 17mm like the 400. might need to drill out the plates in the swing arm more or something. ask HT77 he knows about xs650 wheels on 400's.
I have 20mm axle plates though.....haha

Damnit HT! what about those axle spacers then? :D speak what you know! :laugh:

Just messing with ya.
I would say if I knew....lol When running the bike before, the top rail of the hardtail made it impossible to perfectly line up the rear wheel with the center of the frame. It probably didn't help running an 18" on a 130 series tire either though. I had to offset the wheel to the right side of the bike a little. I should be starting on the hardtail soon though, so all will be good.

:doh:....'raises arms behind head...yawns...thinks to himself...bullshit!!..seems like I've heard this story before...probably see the Mayans come back before I see this new hardtail....rolleyes....chuckle.....time to go find a beer...'

:banghead::shrug::bike:
Well played again sir! haha Well you'll be happy to know that the old rear section is already cut off, and the bottom rails are cut to size. There, take that!!

Back