XSRocker Build

XSrocker

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally got the bike to my house. I am surprised that the tires hold air! Well gotta figure out how to open the gas tank (not sure the key I have does it) and put some good gas in it, change the oil, new battery and clean the carbs and see if she runs.

Here is where she sat for 20+ years
IMG_20110130_162004.jpg

IMG_20110130_162012.jpg

IMG_20110130_162024.jpg

Here are the picks from picking her up.
IMG_20110416_140412.jpg

IMG_20110416_173401.jpg

IMG_20110416_173410.jpg

European bars are a nice option- lower, but not clubman low and a bit of pullback so you don't have to lean as far.

Nice looking bike.

It did clean up pretty good from what it was. You have some rust to deal with but it looks like it's got most of it's parts.

Ok so I was looking over the bike today and took the side covers off and saw a nice little mouse nest.
IMG_20110417_133444.jpg

IMG_20110417_133453.jpg

Also there was not a lot of oil in there but it did look like there was a little. I know the throttle has to be fixed, it doesn't return when you open it up.

The problem I have I have is that the key I have (works in the ignition) cant go in the key hole for the gas tank but it will go into the key hole for the seat but will not turn it. So now I cant open the gas tank or the seat...any ideas?

Yeah... someone replaced the tank or cap and didn't give you the second key. There is a pin with a flared end holding the gas cap on; removing this is the only way to get the cap off. There is a screw that holds the cap on, but it is not accessible unless it is already open. If you remove the pin you'll need to find a way to flare the end so it stays on.

If your throttle won't return check to make sure the grips are not making contact with the switch housing. Should that fail remove the switch housing and throttle from the bar. Check for goo or debris on the actual handle bar and inside the plastic throttle tube. If you need to remove the grip from the actual plastic throttle tube compressed air works really well to separate them.

The way i have found best to open the gas tank is to push the lid slightly down and you can use a small screw driver or just the key for the ignition and you can see the metal slide just push it in past the little bar that it locks on if that makes any sense

I will try to give that a shot today, I just wanna get to the battery to replace that and get some good gas in it and see about getting it to start then go from there.

Ok so not much done today but I did get the gas cap opened. I kind of pried the cap up a little so I could get to the little clip holding it on. Then tried pushing the clip and pulling on the cap and then it just opened. I looked inside a little and looked like there were a little bit of surface rust spots but all in all not too bad. I also pulled the spark plugs. I still cant get the seat to open up so I think I will go to the local shop and see if they can give me some advice on opening it up.

XSRocker, your not too far from me, I did a full rebuild on an XS400D a few years back, the local lockswith made me a key based on my ignition that fit every lock on the bike for $30, I dropped the ignition off and had it back in my hands in a day. Im about an hour from you, let me know if you have any questions,Id be glad to help! Here is a link to some pics of my old 400D, Im picking up annother one Thursday! ~Matt

http://bikepics.com/members/ilovemountains/77xs400/

Back