XSRocker Build

Soooo I finally got back to the bike, life gets busy sometimes. Anyway here we go

I tore this stuff off (chain guard, air boxes, battery tray and air tubing)
IMG_5271.jpg

I also got this off
IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

I think they are incredibly clean inside. The dirtiest part is the back end that goes to the air boxes.
IMG_5266.jpg

and this is how it sat.
IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

then I decided to take the tranny cover off to see what it looked like under there
IMG_5282.jpg

It looks like crap! it is so gunky under there I really need to clean it out.
IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

Then when taking out the engine bolts the two I am having trouble with are on the bottom front where the oil cover thing is.
IMG_5279.jpg

The problem is that the bolts go towards the oil cover thing.
IMG_5280.jpg

IMG_5281.jpg

I was trying to take it off but the bolt head on it is stripped. I dont know what to do now. Anyone have any suggestions?

got your work cut out there matey!:wink2:

I'd weld a large nut on the head and undo it naturally. I think you may cut into the cover the other way.

I think the bolt head is alumimnum...and you only grind off the top of the head..IIRC...but a bit of heat on it before you grind might do the trick..
I fussed with vise grips for 30 minutes...then just ground it off after all.

I think the bolt head is alumimnum...and you only grind off the top of the head..IIRC...but a bit of heat on it before you grind might do the trick..
I fussed with vise grips for 30 minutes...then just ground it off after all.

its steel, soft as shit, but steel :D

damn dude. you got a lot cut our for you. and i thought mine were dirty :eek:. the thing with the bolts, when i put my engine back ine, i just made sure that the bolts were facing so i can take out the engine without draining all the oil. it works fine, you just have to slide the oil filter in from the top so it goes behind them. btw, i saved that pic of the bike all rusty with the bars down. idk, just a really cool picture. im subbed fursur

Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I am going to try the welding a nut onto the oil filter cover and hope that does the trick. I tried an angle grinder to the engine bolts today but it wont fit.

volcom- no problem dude. I flipped the bars just cause I could and wanted to see what it would look and feel like. I have been thinking of cutting some of those bars so its just a u shape and use that as handle bars instead of searching all over God's green earth for clip ons lol

there is a socket called a gator grip has a bunch of metal pins in it to form to any nut or bolt works well for striped ones. Might want to take a look into that

you are in the same boat i am hear is a pic of about 1/3 of the wire i threw away. NOTE: im not running turn signals

2011-08-27230729.jpg

mine is a 78 2A2 (points system)so i only have kick. but i threw away more when i first got it. i got maybe a good 4 lbs of wire i threw away. i did keep the connectors though just incase someone here need one that had melted or somthing :). i really isnt to bad to get the wire down to bare minimum status. it just the thought. peel back the dry as tape and go to town with the wire snips. need some help i could do for cheap:)

Ok with the help of my roommate, who couldnt wait to use the torch, we heated the crap outta the bolt and used a BFH wrench and got the thing loose.

Now I have to remove the motor and either venture into rebuilding it my self or finding a well priced shop to do it for me...any advice on whether or not to try rebuilding it? any tips on doing it and what i would need. It would be my first motor rebuild...thanks!

gasket kit. buy one and download the manual from the site in pdf form. i rebuilt mine with the help of my dad. but he mostly just said yes, no, and helped with stripped bolts. it was rather easy to be honest. like ive told other ppl. the most expensive part is the rings if you need new ones. i suggest do it. if you have the time and money, why not? get to know the bike a bit more and pour more of yourself into getting it running. that way you can help outer ppl on the forum with questions also. lol. any questions, feel free to pm me.

Back