1969 Yamaha TD-2 GP race replica build

STEVESKLT250

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINISHED!! w/pics-1969 Yamaha TD-2 GP race replica build

Hi everyone,
a few days ago I introduced myself and told you about the vintage GP racer I am building out of my '77 XS400-2E. Well I finally got the build progress picks shrunk down for the thread so here they are. The first and second picks are when I started and my inspiration pics. The rest are what I have completed so far...enjoy and feel free to ask any and all the questions you want. The tank started as an XS500 that was narrowed and stretched by me and the seat and cowl are all hand made from aluminum. I am building it in two phases, the first will be naked with the stock wheels and hopefully next year it will get completed with a full fairing and shouldered aluminum rims and machined brakes/hubs as funds come available.:D

Attachments

• yamaha01.jpg
    yamaha01.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 459
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 493
  • Copy of 12-2-12 014.JPG
    Copy of 12-2-12 014.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Copy of 12-2-12 015.JPG
    Copy of 12-2-12 015.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Copy of 12-2-12 016.JPG
    Copy of 12-2-12 016.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 416
  • Copy of 12-2-12 017.JPG
    Copy of 12-2-12 017.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
A few more, here is where it starts to look cool.

Attachments

• Copy of 2-2-12 023.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 023.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 491
  • Copy of 2-2-12 028.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 028.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 391
  • Copy of 2-2-12 027.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 027.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Copy of 2-2-12 026.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 026.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Copy of 2-2-12 025.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 025.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 397
  • Copy of 2-2-12 024.JPG
    Copy of 2-2-12 024.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 408
Wow! Just Wow!
The tank looks great. I love the rear shock relocation and the GP shifter. It's going to look great when it's painted.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow! Just Wow!
The tank looks great. I love the rear shock relocation and the GP shifter. It's going to look great when it's painted.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, a lot of folks don't see those little details, I think they are what makes all the difference! I have made some pretty major alterations to the rear of the frame, I will have to get some pices of that too. This started as a quick modding and has turned into MANY hours of metal and fab work.

Thanks for the jeep comment, here are a couple off topic jeep pics for you jeep lovers, it ONLY took me 16 years to build!:wtf:

Attachments

• BURBAN 001small.jpg
    BURBAN 001small.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Copy of NOV 2009 010.jpg
    Copy of NOV 2009 010.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 317
Ha ! quick modding.:doh: My plan was a set of clubmans and a custom seat and I'd be done.

Two year later I'm obsessing about the correct stainless bolts I need to polish and making my own headlamp brackets. What the hell happend there?

But your right it is all about the details. No one else will notice them but it puts a smile on your face when you look at your bike.:D

Ha ! quick modding.:doh: My plan was a set of clubmans and a custom seat and I'd be done.

Two year later I'm obsessing about the correct stainless bolts I need to polish and making my own headlamp brackets. What the hell happend there?

But your right it is all about the details. No one else will notice them but it puts a smile on your face when you look at your bike.:D

I fully agree!:thumbsup:

It's called PASSION fellas, and watch out cause it can take over. I have a model A Ford that can attest to that. Steve you have a great plan and are executing it with a quickness. Dig that Willys. 16 years, you got the passion man. Your bike is going to be a serious player.

It's called PASSION fellas, and watch out cause it can take over. I have a model A Ford that can attest to that. Steve you have a great plan and are executing it with a quickness. Dig that Willys. 16 years, you got the passion man. Your bike is going to be a serious player.

amen to that brother

Hello again everyone...I know it's been a while since I updated, but I have gotten quite a bit done since my last post,

all metal fab complete
GP style tank breather built
carbs and pod filters done
exhaust built
coils relocated
rear sets done
rear brake converted to cable
side and sprocket covers polished
matching helmet painted up
SV650 led light grafted into seat
led blinkers
frame paint areas touched up
rear inner fender fab'd
conventional bars removed
steering head rebuilt
mini battery bought (TTR50)
black exhaust wrap bought

I'm sure there's more and I know it's pointless to update w/o pics so I will try to get some posted soon. Basically it's down to paint and bodywork, clip-on fab and final assembly, hope to be riding it this summer.

Back