Bike starts only sometimes

kingdisasterx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
im new but here is the issue i have a 1980 xs 400 special that i bought last summer and have been redoing. it ran all last summer but now will only turn on when it feels like it. i put in a new fuse box today, hoping thats the problem(old one was falling apart). and it started up, turned it off wont start up again. i have new lights and new batteries installed on it.

Welcome, start simple! Killswitch off, gas in, choke out. Spark? Are the plugs wet? if not maybe carbs need cleaning or simply float level adjustment in carbs is off. and test compression.

plugs just replaced, and it does run just whenever it wants it seems. iv come down to the electrical basedc on the fact that it runs. the question is why am i only sometimes getting a response from the electric start

If you've isolated it to the electric start, then pretty much either the solenoid is bad or the brushes are worn down. You can check the solenoid by jumping the terminals. How is the kick start?

Hi everybody,
im new but here is the issue i have a 1980 xs 400 special that i bought last summer and have been redoing. it ran all last summer but now will only turn on when it feels like it. i put in a new fuse box today, hoping thats the problem(old one was falling apart). and it started up, turned it off wont start up again. i have new lights and new batteries installed on it.
Ok, won't start as in it doesn't even turn over. good question with what about Kick Start, you may be so used to pushing the starter you forget it's there. Does that get any result?
And none of new fuses you put in blown?

none of the fuses have blown the kick start does turn it over but its a hard kick start to get it started i have never started it that way i have replaced the solenoid this week so i know it cant be that

The kick should not take much to start it; mine started on the first kick with brand new plugs and wires (now it sometimes needs two when cold). Since you don't usually use the kick, it may be hard to tell if it's acting up, so more info about it would help (how many kicks to get it running, how much resistance do you feel, etc.). If you are really having trouble starting it with the kick, then I would look to the ignition system for the problem next.

As for the electric starter, do yourself a favor and clean up the housing for the starter switch and double check that the starter is getting plenty of juice and that the ground to the engine case is good. Failing that, the only option left is to open it up and check the brushes, commutator, and bearings as per the manual.

I have one that if it sits for more than 2 days it won't start at all. No electric start, kick only. Now if I get a buddy to push, it'll start right up in 2nd gear and when it warms up for a few minutes, you can go and kick start it in one kick almost every time. It will start like that all the time if I start it everyday. Try a good push start and use a little ether.

figured it out there is a little yellow wire under the bike and when i was cleaning all the years of grease it must have come loose, thanks guys. any idea where an oil leak could be from under the bike thats not from the filter area

Back