Broke a screw extractor...now what?

vfost

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I was trying to get a screw out of the cover for the points today and the head stripped. So i took a drill bit and drilled the center out and put a screw extractor in it. I started turning it and next thing you know...SNAP!! Needless to say i cant drill the screw extractor out because it is harder than the drill bits. Anyone have any ideas? im open to anything i havent really tried much yet.

Nevermind i was just able to get it to come out!

Travis if you see this please remove this thread.

You discovered how to remove the ease-out,good for you.I've been there,done that,now I use left hand drillbits. I learned my lesson about ease-outs,when they work,fine,when they don't,baaaaaaaad. lha

hmm ill have to keep left hand drill bits in mind for next time.

I didnt actually get the extractor out i ended up getting a pair of needle nose vice grips on the screw head and after about a half hour of chewing the head up even more it finally came loose

been there done that. What has always works for me is slicing a | into the head or whatever is sticking out with a hacksaw then using an impact screwdriver.

Ya i had thought about that but the problem was i dont have a hack saw or an impace screwdriver with me where im working on it. Also im not really sure it would have worked anyways since the problem wasnt really getting grip on the head it was more or less the strength of the metal because it just tore both sides of the slot right off of the head.

Back