Cafe seat?

karatekid1194

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm jsut curious but does anyone have a general explanation or a video or something that would help figure out how to take off the seat/ rear fender and put on a cafe style seat? Just curious, thanks.

You don't need a video to figure out how to remove the seat and fender... just grab you tools and go do it. It's super simple...

As far as putting on a cafe seat, you need to figure out what kind of seat you want and whether you want to make it or buy it.

I agree with Steeze, removal is pretty straight forward. The rear fender can be squeezed by the frame and may need a bit of pull to get off once the bolts are undone.

If you buy a seat that is not designed for the XS then it might not fit over the xs400 wide ass. My seat is for an SR400 and is 15mm too narrow to fit over the frame. For a temporary solution I used concrete velcro and rubber "spacer" pads to hold my seat in place. It worked quite well and the rubber gave the thin seat a bit more cushion.

Check out my build thread and you will see how the seat sits at the moment. http://xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6555&page=5

I'm thinking of making one out of my stock seat pan. A little cutting here, a little foam padding there, a new seat cover stiched by one of my friends or relatives who can stitch, and voila!

We'll see how that works out...

In any case, check out www.dotheton.com for inspiration and seat building gurus.

I'd recommend buying a seat if you have no experience fiberglassing; the process isn't terribly difficult, but there is a learning curve. If you don't get it right the first time the material cost may approach that of a pre-made seat.

If you're really patient and plan well, however, it can be done in a single go.

Thanks guys! At the moment I can't do it but maybe when I get a little more time and.. heh hem... cash. Great info though, thanks.

google cafe racer seat images to see what you like then use that to plan your own make or buy.

Back