Can I have a brake, please??

Hornix

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear master cilinder of my 1977 xs4002a2 cafebike was a kind of worn. Slightly leaking from the old cracked reservoir and also from the bottom. When I was looking for a repair kit I found out that the plastic reservoir was no longer available. And all the second hand rmc's I found on ebay were just as ugly and worn as my own. I looked at some other brake pumps from various old yamaha's and then I saw a pump of a Yamaha SR500, USA rear disc model (over here in Europe we mostly had rear drums, only a few rear discs). I contacted a seller via Ebay.com for some measurements and it looked like a direct bolt-on. I ordered/"won" the part (it was in perfect condition) and it came in a few weeks ago. Got back from the holidays yesterday, and today I brought the bike into surgery. And indeed, it's a 100% replacement part for our rear disc 400's:thumbsup:
The seller also sended the rest of the hardware like the pivot and the shaft for the brake pedal, but it appeared that all you need is the bare pump. Note that I'm running pods and to give the lid of the reservoir some clearance to come off I slightly modified the batterybox.
I don't know if anyone did this mod before (I couldn't find info on it) but it might be handy for some of you.
Cheers:D
DSCN3644.jpg

DSCN3645.jpg

DSCN3646.jpg

Back