Clip ons Slipping

auhenry

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had trouble with my clip on bars slipping on the forks. Don't know if I should clean down the forks, use some type of adhesive for the forks, or anything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I have never used them before but I would imagine the surfaces should be cleaned with some type of solvent ( brake clean or carb cleaner) to keep them from sliding. Have you torqued them to spec? Also it's good etiquette to introduce your self and tell us what bike you have and even put up a few pics:wink2:

When you were tightening the mounting clamps, did you tap around them with a soft faced hammer? This can help everything to move so that the torque is applied evenly.

I don't know if this will help you but it is worth a try. I have found that sometimes apply a thin film of grease will allow parts to tighten smoothly and with even force preventing slippage. Worked on my bicycle handle bars and seat post, even though it seems self defeating...

What size clip-ons did you use and what model do you have? SOHC? DOHC? They should not slip when tightened even moderately. You probably bought a size that is too large. They should fit snugly even before they are tightened down.

33 mm SOHC
35 mm DOHC

Also, cheap clip-ons often have poor machining tolerances; another source of problems.

Some brake cleaner and they work just fine, must have had something left on them from previous owner. Thanks xschris.

Back