Dropping seat rails below top of shocks

BrokenFang

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Havent been on in a while. my little 400 rat has been running up and down the road but now its time to get back to it. I have seen where some of you fellas have taken the back of the 2 seat rails and lowerd them. Was wondering 1 if anybody had the pics of it being done. 2 do i have to heat the rails to bend them down 3 will i have to extend them to reattach to frame. I really like the little bucket seat effect . This is my first project where i am planning on cutting and welding so i want to get my ducks straight so i dont ruin frame. I do have dirt bike doner frame for tubing came with the rd fender im gonna us on back.

Thanks fot the link. Not really looking to hard tail this one.Just not completely happy with the chopped tail or the flat seat rails. Gonna chop some more parts off the dirt bike and see what i can come up with.Was thinking of welding a piece of flat to replace the humped seat crossbar im assuming if i cut this out i need to replace it. My pics are under my barn build thread. Got some new pics not ready to upload yet.

I believe what you are referring to is called konging. All I can say is be careful and tripple check all your measurements. Anytime you mess with the geometry of the suspension it can play a huge part on how the bike rides/handles etc which im sure you know. My brother did it to his kz650 and every time he sits on it the chain gets loose, so it can be done wrong I suppose. Other than that it is pretty self explanatory.

Thats exactly what i want to do didnt know what to call it. looks like i need to cut both ends loose and reweld. I cut cross bar and rear footpeg mounts off yesterday. Fannaly decided to quit being chicken and cut the thing. Has anybody used schedual 40 or 80 pipe in a frame have no budget and some scrape pipe.

ignor comment about schd 80 or 40 my bad not enough research.can i use this National Hardware® 4068BC 1 in. x 48 in. Round Tube, Plain Steel (Red) 16 Gauge. this is just for the konged seat rails

I've used the steel black pipe from Lowes/Home Depot to stretch swingarms. I hear people refer to it as black pipe I think. Seems to be holding up fine so far, and its quite a bit thicker than the stock tube on the bike. Just make sure you throw some gussets in there.

Back