Exhaust question.

bcbobbers

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Exhaust question. (Mock up Photos Added!)

I have a 81 xs400s and am looking to put glasspacks on it. I realized that I am going to have to either stretch a piece of the exhaust tubing from 1.5 in. to 2 inches and was wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to just bring it to a muffler shop and have them put a slight bend in a piece of tubing I bring in and have them stretch the end or just buy a transition?

I've found 1.5-2 inch transitions, but they are a bit spendy at $30 a piece and I would need two of them. Anyone know where to get cheaper ones or would it be a better idea to have a muffler shop stretch a piece of tubing for me?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Last edited:
I have a 81 xs400s and am looking to put glasspacks on it. I realized that I am going to have to either stretch a piece of the exhaust tubing from 1.5 in. to 2 inches and was wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to just bring it to a muffler shop and have them put a slight bend in a piece of tubing I bring in and have them stretch the end or just buy a transition?

I've found 1.5-2 inch transitions, but they are a bit spendy at $30 a piece and I would need two of them. Anyone know where to get cheaper ones or would it be a better idea to have a muffler shop stretch a piece of tubing for me?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
I would just try it myself first. Just cut a few relief cuts in the end of the 1.5in. pipe, then slip it inside the 2in. piece. I would put it inside instead of outside, as to aid in exhaust flow, plus you could just weld one clean weld the circumference of the pipe joining the two different sizes, and a few welds to fill in your relief cuts.....I hope that makes sense....

Makes perfect sense hardtailed, I think I am going to give it a try this weekend and see how that goes.:thumbsup:

I wasn't sure how much an exhaust shop would charge, but $10.00 sounds pretty good too. If you are wrapping the pipes afterwards, you could save some dough by doing it yourself though. Let us know how it turns out, and be sure to post up a few pics!

I actually found a couple 1.5-2 inch adapter exhaust pieces at a local Oreileys parts store and welded those onto the headers after extending the headers about 3 inches. I will post picks when I get home. Also I think I am going to just buy some black tips and weld those on the end and wrap the pipes with some black header wrap.

Like I said I will post some pics of how the pipes look now and in a few days when I buy the tips I want I will post some more pics of the finished pipes mocked up.

i work in a familey owned exhaust shop. the smallest pipe most shops can bend is 1.5". we only charge like $5 for each adapter. it all depends on the shop. I find myself doing lots of crazy little jobs like this for people.

i work in a familey owned exhaust shop. the smallest pipe most shops can bend is 1.5". we only charge like $5 for each adapter. it all depends on the shop. I find myself doing lots of crazy little jobs like this for people.

all adds up though firsttimer :bike:

all im trying to do Drewpy is let others know that hey, an exhaust shop can help me and will save some money over going to a parts store. That and the pipe is much heavier at an exhaust shop.

sorry, I meant all those $5 dollars add up, so it is kinda worth it for you, plus think of all the kudos you'll get:thumbsup:

got my adapters welded up to the pipes and am waiting for wednesdays as it is open shop night at my work and I then can weld up the tips I bought, I will post up pics on wednesday after I get them all welded up. The last thing I need to do is order up some exhaust wrap and wrap them up. Pics soon to come!!

Ok so here is what the pipes look like with the extension and the 1.5-2" adapter. Next, is I need to weld on the tips and then wrap them with exhaust wrap. Will put up pics of the pipes finished looks in a week or so.

Attachments

• DSCN0277.jpg
    DSCN0277.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN0278.jpg
    DSCN0278.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 279
100_6366.jpg

ditch the glass packs,,,,,go copper,couple fittings,some silver soilder,and rivets and away you go..plus it gives you nice tattoos on your lower leg,,free of charge.LOL

Thanks hardtailed, yes it is flux core and I grinded down the welds a bit so it lays flatter for when I wrap them. I think I am going to ditch the glasspacks, and just simply put tips on the ends and run straight pipes. I think I may stay away from the copper monkey lol but the tattoos may be nice...

Quick question I completely forgot (like an excited moron) took both headers off without marking which was which. I noticed that they are stamped 1, 2 on the headers. Just curious if anyone could tell me which goes to which side quick. It would be much appreciated. I know stupid question.

Last edited:
Back