Exhaust question.

Well, truthfully they are technically illegal where I live in North Dakota, but thankfully we don't have emissions testing or anything like that so I shouldn't get pulled over or stopped for this. Especially since many harleys around here are much louder than mine with the straight pipes.

Here are some pics of the pipes, tank, and seat mocked up quick. I didn't attach the seat that's why it is sitting up a bit in the pictures. I still need to clean up the rear end of the frame with some type of end caps or something...any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCN0297.jpg
    DSCN0297.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0298.jpg
    DSCN0298.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCN0299.jpg
    DSCN0299.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN0300.jpg
    DSCN0300.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0301.jpg
    DSCN0301.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I think on these bikes a rear frame loop works the best so they don't look too "stubby." But you could put some turn signals in there:

DSC00389.jpg

On my Sporty I got some bulb housings from the auto parts store, modified them with a grinder a bit, then I had a machinist whittle these out of aluminum bar, held in place with a set screw through the frame tube.

thanks for the ideas guys, I think I might just end up welding some sort or bar across the back. I like the turn signal idea but cutting the frame that short doesn't look all that safe with half the bracket cut like that. I might look more into some signals for in there or just weld a bar across. Still not quite sure, but i'll be sure to update you guys when I decide.

thanks for the ideas guys, I think I might just end up welding some sort or bar across the back. I like the turn signal idea but cutting the frame that short doesn't look all that safe with half the bracket cut like that. I might look more into some signals for in there or just weld a bar across. Still not quite sure, but i'll be sure to update you guys when I decide. OH and Crush where is the battery on the bike with the teal tank, can't seem to see it?

Sorry for the double posting! I can't seem to figure out how to delete the first one.

The bike in the picture is a SR400/500 and can be run with a capacitor instead of a battery.

I'm with Crush on this one, I think a rear loop of some kind just balances out the proportions of these bikes. I'm still debating wether to try and stretch the swingarm on mine as well. It would also help the structural rigidity of the frame and stop any excessive sidewards flex if something ties the ends of the seat rails together. How are you thinking of mounting your lisence plate and tail light? It could all be incorperated together.

I have the license plate and tail light connected to a bracket and the bracket bolted on the top suspension bolt on the left side. I'll post some pics of it later tonight.

what i ended up doing is building my own glass packs. 1 3/4" core with a 2" case. cant wait to hear it. the sissy bar is removable,i needed something to attach a bag to. this will be my commuter bike and i always seem to have something to haul. i used the bracket for the sissy bar to cover the tube ends in back

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 238
  • exhaust rear.jpg
    exhaust rear.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 268
here are a few pics of how i covered the frame tube ends.

Attachments

• rear frame bracket.jpg
    rear frame bracket.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 239
  • rear frame rear.jpg
    rear frame rear.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 236
Haha, I have the same issue. Will probably do something temporary for now and then do a rear loop later on.

Can't decide what I think about the sissybar. Packed with bags it will probably melt in. There is something rad about a bike with a sissybar stuffed with bags and sleeping gear. I would prefer it over the rear tire though. But hey, thats just my :twocents:

Good thing you got the horse shoe for luck. :thumbsup:

Keep it up man, will be following your progress!

Back