Exhaust question.

I have a 81 xs400s and am looking to put glasspacks on it. I realized that I am going to have to either stretch a piece of the exhaust tubing from 1.5 in. to 2 inches and was wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to just bring it to a muffler shop and have them put a slight bend in a piece of tubing I bring in and have them stretch the end or just buy a transition?

I've found 1.5-2 inch transitions, but they are a bit spendy at $30 a piece and I would need two of them. Anyone know where to get cheaper ones or would it be a better idea to have a muffler shop stretch a piece of tubing for me?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-tail-pipe-expander-37353.html

this is a tool that might come in handy for this project and in the future.

hoganJr

I have used those before Hogan and they don't work the best. Also if you read the reviews you'd see it didn't work for most people and even broke right away for some of the users. I'd rather just pay the $2 for each adapter. Just my :twocents:. I will try to post up some picks of my pipes with the tips welded on before I go to work.

Sorry it took so long guys, but here are some pictures of one of my pipes with the tips and everything all welded up. I just got my DEI exhaust wrap and am going to wrap them tomorrow. I will post some more pics of how the wrapping turns out tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCN0281.jpg
    DSCN0281.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN0282.jpg
    DSCN0282.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN0283.jpg
    DSCN0283.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN0285.jpg
    DSCN0285.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN0286.jpg
    DSCN0286.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 287
Have fun after you wrap those pipes! Haha the bike will smoke like a freight train for like an hour the first time you run it! Lol looks good though man!

Yeah I know about the smoking, DEI is the brand of wrap. I got one of my pipes wrapped today at work and dang near used an entire 1 inch 50 foot roll. Looks really good and ended up wrapping really tight since I soaked the wrap in water for about 10 minutes before I started. I also let a heat gun run on high through the pipe for a while so it doesn't smoke so bad when I get them on...I'm sure it will anyway, but it helped it dry faster than just air drying anyway. Will post up pics of my pipe wrapped up tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the first header all wrapped down to the tip.

Attachments

• DSCN0293.jpg
    DSCN0293.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 273
  • DSCN0294.jpg
    DSCN0294.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN0295.jpg
    DSCN0295.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 273
Thanks a lot guys, first time I've ever attempted it and I thought it turned out great. I'm waiting to get another 50 foot roll of 1 inch wrap to wrap the other pipe so I can finish them up and mock them up.

Thanks a lot guys, first time I've ever attempted it and I thought it turned out great. I'm waiting to get another 50 foot roll of 1 inch wrap to wrap the other pipe so I can finish them up and mock them up.

50 foot man, thats a lot, how heavy is that stuff?

The wrap itself is actually pretty light. I bet it doesn't add hardly any weight to the pipes at all after the wrap dries out. I thought 50 feet was a lot also, but it almost took an entire roll for just one pipe. It's only one inch wide and you have to overlap it a quarter inch so a 50 foot roll doesn't go as far as one would hope.

hi all can u run those pipes legaly and what about jetting carbs for them, good they look real mean very cool good job

Last edited:
hi all can u run those pipes legaly and what about jetting carbs for them
Welcome marmite69.

Legality of pipes is going to differ from area to area, state to state, etc. The decibels that the mufflers put out is going to be the main factor. I'm not sure what these put out. Anytime that a fuel, intake, or exhaust change is made the bike, a re-jetting is likely to be needed afterwards.

Back