First bike. I could use a little help here

Superdog25

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I just purchased my first bike ever. It's a 1981 xs400 special. The electric start button is broken so it's kick start only. Is there a procedure to start it? Iv been trying for hours to start it. When I bought it, the guy just kicked it once and it started. I don't get it. Sorry for the noob question. Thanks

Trans in neutral.
Key on.
Kill Switch On.
Choke On. (Pulled OUT is on)
SLOWLY ride the kickstarter down until you feel solid pressure, then back off and really ROMP down on the kickstarter.

Might take a few kicks, if little 50kg me can do it no reason you can't.

Prime for 10 seconds just to be sure there is fuel in the carbs, then to the run position (or what every yours is labeled). Don't get to rough with the kickstart or you could end up cracking the case. Don't twist the throttle until it is running, and try to resist that.

There used to be a small button that you could use to bypass the starter button. They were made so you could bump your car over when you'd do a tune up. It would hook up from the POS battery post to the line that go's to the starter motor. I think it's called a remote ignition switch You could use this to operate your electric start.

Alot of us have alot of practice with this bike.
For a kick start, on one or two kicks, you need to run it nearly daily. If you use poor fuel, it seems (to me) that it will thicken faster, than getting the right fuel. (look it up, for classics, with lead)
Last year, or the year before, I had the button go bad. I was able to get one from xs400. painted handle bars will keep the starter from working. Mikesxs.net had what I needed for quite a few things.

Willem has helped out with this thread. take a look.
http://www.xs400.com/threads/a-bunch-of-how-tos-in-a-thread.10715/

Most of us have solved alot of questions like this. When I was kick only, I was able to use a hill for an old fashion start method. unfortuneately, I don't recommend it, unless you have the ability to keep up with the bike, and not though it down as you attempt it.
Good luck

I spent 20 minutes trying to kick over my newly rebuilt engine after I found the starter wasn't working. Kicked and kicked like a maniac, knocked the headers off, took the kickstart lever to the shin a few times. I was about to give up when I decided to try turning the key to the middle position instead of the far right. Dash lights changed intensity and that damn engine fired up before I even finished my kick. I didn't have hearing protection and my headers had fallen out again.... scared the bejeezuz out of me and a couple walking by my house.

Lesson was to try all the different key positions and make sure you push the starter rather than kick it (name is a bit of a misnomer) so you get lots of force and avoid a big impulse load. At least that's my experience! Good luck :)

Back