Float level, not equal to each other

arfstrom

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Morning Guys, I checked the float heights yesterday, and had a huge variation, The one seems perfect(right side):thumbsup: the left side, seems to be way off.:wtf: Let me know what you guys think, I have to run right now, Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Attachments

• GEDC0226.jpg
    GEDC0226.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 336
  • GEDC0232.jpg
    GEDC0232.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 328
  • GEDC0231.jpg
    GEDC0231.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 310
Seems normal to me.

My plugs and everyone else's that I have seen almost always show one side running a bit leaner.

The way you are checking is the best way. Simply correct for the variation and see how it runs. Inspect the plugs after riding it.

Check that one side of the float is not higher/lower than the other side. Sometimes people just check one side and they can be bent a bit.

No worries!

The bike is vertical, yes?

Vertical? Yup, it was on the center stand. I am still waiting for the last piece of the clutch to get here, I still have the left side cover off, I figure I can do some testing prior to starting the motor up. I am using a Tee thing to allow me to run gas out, not have to adjust the top tube.
Thanks

Today 7/8/2012 It seems to be better, magically overnight. Now the difference is only a 1/4 inch or so?
Any other opinions?

Attachments

• GEDC0233.jpg
    GEDC0233.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Word, maybe there was/is an air bubble in the tube/bowl.

I just checked this way tonight and I needed to let the clear tube drain for a second to remove the air bubbles.

Yea, I think your right, I just ran it a little more, then Today, I took out the Floats, my float , (brass) had a hole. some microscopic, so I just though some solder onto it. Checked in a small pail of water, and redid the test. Seems good now.
Tobie

Right side had pitting along the supposed fuel level line.

Last edited:
Yesterday I noticed that I was leaking fuel on the ground, and when I pulled out the Float, Right side float had sunk, and therefore was flooding my airbox with gas. I kinda wondered what happen to my gas from the tank. Now I have to examine the oil to see if it has gas in the oil. :banghead:

Heading out to get Used floats from a local bike yard between Shakopee and Jordan Minnesota. http://www.sportwheel.com/contact.html Till I can afford a pair of plastic ones.

Back