Has anyone else made this mistake?

XS-Time

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Part of my problem is my sloth like porgress in putting my enigine together, You forget what you have done in the past. So I am finishing putting the bottom half together and am adjusting the backlash on the oil pump drive gear. I am turning the crank when it locks up. I can turn it almost 360 deg each way when it stops solid. I check the cam chain to make sure it is not bunching up, look inside the engine with a flashlight ect. I just could not get my head around what was stopping the crank. After a while I resign myself to the fact that I have to tear the engine down again. I can't even remember if it spun freely when I first put it together. Did I forget to check this most simple of things?
Turns out that one of the three oil pump bolts is longer than the rest. I had put it in the front where it protuded into the case and blocked the crank from spinning freely. Doh! :doh:

As for the backlash ,does anyone know what it is supposed to be? I have one manual that says .04mm and another that says .004mm. Which one is the typo?

Back