HELP! Break/signal lights draining battery!!

KoryGable

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1981 xs400 special II
I posted before with the problem that my break light keeps draining my battery every time I use it. The turn signals are also doing the same thing. The battery is new and this problem just arose. I am not an electrical genius so some pleaseeeeeee help me. It's to nice outside for this bike to be parked in my garage.

You either have a short or a bad battery or a bad alternator/alternator circuit/rectifier/voltage regulator. Although unlikely, even a new battery can be bad. Have you tried running without a break bulb in to make sure the sure its the brake draining the battery? How about disconnecting the headlight? Pin point the problem as much as you can before tearing into the wiring harness. Have you tested to see if the alternator is charging the battery at all? It may not be getting "drained" as much as it is not getting charged.

I have a 1981 xs400 special II
I posted before with the problem that my break light keeps draining my battery every time I use it. The turn signals are also doing the same thing. The battery is new and this problem just arose. I am not an electrical genius so some pleaseeeeeee help me. It's to nice outside for this bike to be parked in my garage.

I bought a brand new battery, though not a sealed maintenance free battery. Noticed it was getting weak when testing blinkers before starting. After merely 3 weeks the electrolyte level was so low it was not even visible. The directions are to add only distilled water after level goes down. Working fine again.

Back