Introduction and Cafe build log

We have damn near the same bike...

If your project side covers don't work I have mine... and they are black with the XS400 logo's too... I was planning on keeping mine but might let them go if your interested

Hope you get it running right soon... im looking forward to your build

Well i pulled the engine out of the frame ... again. Opened up the top of the head... again, looked at my installation of the cam, and sure enough i confirmed that i had the cam in 180 degrees wrong position so fixed that slowly to make sure i did it right the second time. So got it all put back together and now no spark at the plugs :banghead: All i can figure out is that I must have done something to mess up the points breakers at the end of the cam shaft. So i'll check that in the morning. Monday's are my day off. Another live and learn moment in my future... I hope

IT LIVES!

'78 XS400 running

Everyone should get the chance to pull the engine out of their frame twice and install the cams twice :)

I re-gapped the points and connected the starter and SHAZAM the engine was running great! :thumbsup:

Thought I'd add a few photos of the FIRST time i took the head apart on the engine:laugh:

Jackson looking to make sure dad didn't just drop a bolt down the crank case
-10.jpg

Dad helping out with the un-glamorous job of cleaning the gasket surface. (Any advise on how to get a 14 year old to comb his hair on a Saturday Morning? )
-8.jpg

-7.jpg

-6.jpg

-3.jpg

-2.jpg

Dad having a teaching moment with son ( Son thinking ok, ok ok i get it... the surface needs to be clean... and that is a head gasket..)
-1.jpg

Next project is building the seat pan out of wood, foam and fiberglass... wish me luck:bike:

it is cool to see the younger generation getting involved and having a mentor sure helps:thumbsup:good luck on the seat

Congrats on getting her running. :thumbsup: Your son will look back on this time together and smile. My dad helped me work on cars when I was a lot younger & it was a bonding experience - I can't wait to do the same with my son.

Posted via Mobile

IT LIVES!

'78 XS400 running

Everyone should get the chance to pull the engine out of their frame twice and install the cams twice :)

I re-gapped the points and connected the starter and SHAZAM the engine was running great! :thumbsup:

I almost agree, But only after it is done with! :laugh:
Ahhhhh, that 180 deg vertical twin sound, it is a soothing sweet bliss when it finally happens :thumbsup:

Well i have the form almost done to start fiberglass-ing the seat pan. I have little pieces of foam insulation in every nook and cranny of my house. I swear those little pieces of foam multiply and travel! I find them in my pockets, shoes, pillow, under ware ... everywhere!

Anyway here is the form so far. Its spring break for my kids so i probably wont get to actually mixing up resin till later in the week.

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

OK, my least favorite part about working on bikes or cars is the electrical systems :banghead: So i'm looking for some expertise.

Somewhere in this bike's life someone disconnected the starter motor. I don't know if the button on the handlebars was not working or what, but by the time i got the bike there was just a thick black wire coming directly from the starter motor hanging free. If i touch that wire to the positive terminal on the battery the motor engages and turns fine (and you smell a little ozone from the sparks :) ). I was thinking about just connecting a new switch to that wire, and not worrying about tracking the wires down that go from the original starter button, into the wiring harness and then off to...somewhere, but i am just OCD enough that i hate looking at that button that doesn't work by the throttle. :mad:

Soooo, when i disconnected the wiring harness while de-rusting and repainting the frame, i found one two prong clip that was not connected to anything.
IMG_8673.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

Does anyone know if that was the clip that originally connected to the starter motor? If so i may fool around with it and see if i can get the starter to work while connected to it, if not i wont waste my time. If it is i can start figuring out if the button or the relay or something isn't working. I know there is an electrical schematic on the forum but translating those little lines to actual plugs and wires and location of plugs and wires on my bike is not my strength! :shrug:

I just don't like the idea of a button that automatically engages the starter motor whether or not it is in gear or whether or not the key is on, very much.

Thanks

Mark

Well i think i figured out the problem with the starter button and the unconnected wire from the starter motor. Thanks Robj, you are correct that the unmatched clip is in fact the connection to the solenoid.

I pulled up my manual that I down loaded from this very site and read through it till i found the electrical section. There is a nice description of where the solenoid is, so i head out to the garage just to see what is up with it, maybe a disconnected wire or broken clip or something... No wonder i couldn't find the solenoid because this is what I found:
IMG_2543.jpg

That is a clip that is supposed to be holding a solenoid.

So i guess what happened is that the solenoid must have gone belly up, and the previous owner took it out but never replaced it, so the wires are just hanging loose.

I see they are about $20 on Ebay. I'll order one this week. Does anyone know if the solenoid is bike and year specific or are they a one size fits all kinda' thing?

Thanks again Robj! That was the puzzle piece i needed to solve it!

It will be about an inch higher when i get the rest of the seat and pan finished but i did want it to be pretty low. I haven't quite decided on the tail lamp yet. I'd like something thin and wide, but nothing I have seen jumps out at me yet i may fabricate something if i don't find something i like.

Hey N.P. Mark. I know how wiring can be such a time hog, especially when the wires have no home to go to. The bike is looking good!

I mentioned that the shocks are in pretty ugly shape. They seem to function well, but lots of rust. Does anyone know of an easy way to get them apart so that i can maybe clean them and get a wire brush and some paint on them?

Back