Just changed bars and now electric start not working.

butterbeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Xs400ers,

I just put on straight drag handle bars. Changed from the standard setup and now electric start not working. I have changed bars before on same bike and no problem. This time no electronic ignition.

Kick start works.
No visible breaks in electric wiring.
Fuses all good.
Still soldered to ignition set up inside start box that goes on handle bars

Any ideas?????

Last edited:
The switch isn't grounding on the new bars. New bars have coating that prevents electrical connection to ground.

The right bar switch housing has an exposed metal tab, that's the ground. Bars need to be stripped of coating at the contact point, and you need to ensure that the bars are making a connection to ground and the mounts as well.

Thanks to you both!! I never realised there was a contact point with the bars. Will try that first thing when I get home. Old bars were straight metal, no paint. New bars and re painted by yours truly after the black got scratched first time I went to install them.

Thanks again my fellow xs400ers!!

PS I forgot to mention the bike got mad wet on way home in torrential Brisbane rain. I think perhaps/highly likely that water got into ignition.

Got home from work, sanded back bars were electronic on switch was. No avail.

So then I put electronic on switch / kill switch box on the old straight metal bars, I previously used. No start.

Must be water in the system??

Put WD40 again into key slot and still not working.

Wish I had turned on bike this morning after getting it wet last night. Before I messed with the drag handlebars and new master cylinder. That way I would know if the water or the bars are the problem.
?????

Last edited:
In your first post you mention "This time no electronic ignition." Do you mean you got no spark or the starter don't work?
The ignition electronic or other wise, has nothing to do with the starter. The ignition makes the plugs fire, the starter just turns the engine over.
Leo

There was no clicking sound when engaging the push button ignition. I eventually realised I had a couple of problems.
1. Water in ignition keyhole - solved by wifes blow dryer. (ignition now clicking over but no spark)
2. New handlebars as the black ones I just bought had paint which stopped ignition switch housing from grounding.
3. New spark plugs just to be sure. New fuel too just in case. Capful of metho.

Success.

Blow dryer in action..... what happens with no garage.

Attachments

• blowdryer to xs400.jpg
    blowdryer to xs400.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 412
Back