Kick start works....electric doesn't. Help?

Cseidl81

81YamahaCafe
Reaction score
Hey team,

Bought my xs400 4 years ago, electric start worked then. Fooled around with changing the bars to clubman and now I can only kick start the bike to get her fired up. Any idea what I can do to fix? Where can I find the new part to replace? I enjoy the kickstart but it would be nice to have the electric as a backup

Yes the right hand switch housing need to be grounded as well as the bars at the clamps to have the e-start work.:)

could anyone estimate how far in their starter button needs to be pressed in to activate? Is it similar to the horn? i replaced my starter button with a new button off the web and i think it may be snagging on something since the horn button depresses much further than this new starter button.

when i got the bike there was not a starter button so i dont have much to compare too.

could anyone estimate how far in their starter button needs to be pressed in to activate? Is it similar to the horn? i replaced my starter button with a new button off the web and i think it may be snagging on something since the horn button depresses much further than this new starter button.

when i got the bike there was not a starter button so i dont have much to compare too.

Starer button and horn button are setup the same and should depress alike.

i have a parts bike if there is a starter button ill let you know and ship it to you if you want?

Seems like a pretty simple fix, hope that's the case. Arch of my right foot is starting to hate me.

I drove my two stroke yamaha dt400 every where until my clutch started making noise now its in my shop. my foot feels your pain.

also if removing some paint does not work have you tested the starter its self?

may take you up on that sometime if this button is the wrong size.

yeah let me konw, i looked at the bike last night. ill try to get a photo for you. the bike is a 1980 xs400. if it works send me a PM with an address. ill check to make sure it works this weekend if i have time. :thumbsup:

Back