Maxim fuel tank capacity?

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how big my tank is on my Maxim, I was looking through the manuals on the form and they say that the tank is something like 5 gallons? That can't be correct, I thought our tank was something close to 3ish gallons giving roughly 150 miles of range. I normally fill up around 100 miles, I don't want to push it and run out because I have no idea if my reserve even works.

The manuals you were looking at are for the Seca. You are correct that the Maxim has a small tank.

I would suggest experimenting and finding out what the actual range is on your bike, and if your reserve functions. Strap a gallon gas can to your seat and ride until the engine starts stuttering and has no power. Then switch to reserve and it should smooth out in a couple seconds. Note the mileage. Then keep riding until it runs out and see how much further you rode. Add the gas from your can and head to a station to fill up.

You will find out one day, might as well be on your terms. Trust me, I found out the hard way. It was embarrassing to have to call my wife to bring me a gas can when there was a gas station less than a mile over the next hill. It was a big hill and I was already late for dinner. At least I was "close" to home... :(

I would do that if the weather was in my side... Thunder storms all week it seems, so I drained the file that I had left that netted roughly 1.75 gallons before the "prime" stopped the fuel flow. According to my average MPG I went through an additional 1.76 gallons (88 miles on my odometer divided by 50 my average MPG) gave me a total of 3.51 gallons before I hit my reserve tank. That should get me about 175 miles between fill ups. Now that the math is done, the best news is that my reserve switch on the pet cock works like it should. I fired her up and let it run out if fuel from the float bowls, flipped her onto reserve and it started up after a few cranks. That would leave me to believe that the maxim tank is around 4 gallons if we have a half gallon reserve. Bigger tank than I thought we had haha.

Back