minor tweaks to clutch and speedometer

Kravious

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi all, if you saw my last post i finally got my first bike and with some very good help managed to get it running real smooth :bike: .

so, now that i've ridden the bike around a little... it seems that the clutch doesnt catch until i almost let it all the way out. i'd like to change this to be much closer as i have some pretty small hands..... :shrug:

also, i'm not sure if the speedometer is working correctly. i was able to get up into 4'th gear but it read i was still going ~20 mph. is there a good way to test this and fix it if need be?

again thanks for your help guys

I'm not sure about the clutch. I have the same problem, I adjusted it per the manual, and it's the same. I am about to replace friction plates and the cable to see if anything improves.

As for checking the speedometer, I have an electronic speed limit sign a couple of blocks from my house. It says "Speed limit is x, your speed is y". Maybe they have those where you are, or maybe you can ask a friendly cop with a radar gun to clock you. :thumbsup:

I'd recommend you use a smart phone to track your speed. There are several free app's that will record your speed and locations. Just find a straight road, hit it on, and go up and down it at the same speed. compare it against the speedo.

You might want to check the speedo sensor on the front wheel(at least thats where the DOHC's have them). Make sure it turns freely and doesn't have broken bits on it that may let it slip. Also I'd double check the connection into your speedo it self. might be loose?

i had the same problem with mine and i adjusted the piece on the lever "IN" and it made a world of difference. When i got the bike it was all the way out and very tight. Just shortening it up about 1/2" made all the difference. I'm still going to put a new clutch in it anyway but still...

so the clutch is working wonderfully now :D, the speedo cable is spinning. still dont trust the speedo i'll have to take it out tomorrow with my gps and see how off it may or may not be. thanks all.:bike:

Back