My '81 Resto build

20 seer is about the best you can get with a standard split system. The mini-splits you see alot over seas (they're getting more popular here) can get up to 40 seer AFAIK.

Bike looks good I like the look of the old triumphs hell that's what I was in search for when I stumbled on the xs's hey same great looking twin motor with Japanese engineering:)

OK, WTF! I charged my battery, tried to kickstart and all the lights were on just fine. After two kicks all of the lights went out. Checked the fuses and they're all good. Now it does nothing and won't start. Grrr! Please don't tell me I have to take the wiring apart or something! Is there anything simple it could be?

how many volts does the battery measure? measure in rest and while pressing the start button. could be a faulty battery

Brand new battery. I have a multi tester, but I've never used it before. What do I set it for volts? The start button doesn't work so I'm not sure how to test it, should I kick the kicker?

I had a new battery that was faulty also. Ended up shipping it back and getting a refund. Took me a while to figure out that it was the battery ("It's brand new, it can NOT be the battery") lol

Yea if you set it for volts you can measure it. Mine has several ranges for volts, always go from a large value towards smaller until you get a reading, not the other way. I set mine in the 20V setting, next options are something in the order of 300V or 1V or something.

Kicking the kicker doesn't actually pull much from the battery. But you can see what happens while you kick it or press the button anyways. I thought my starter button didn't do anything for a while either, but it still dropped the voltage over the battery when I pressed it. Anyways if your battery ever gets below 9V, it's dead. Charged, without any load, it should hold about 12.7V. Anything under like 12.4V is an empty battery. If your starter button doesn't do anything and you're still unsure about your battery, you could get it load tested at a bike shop as well.

I replaced the battery and the start button worked fine. I messes something up when I replaced the brake perch. I think I pulled something loose when I stretched the wires to get the new one on. After that the starter didn't work, but it still kicked over fine. Now it doesn't do anything. :(

ah that sucks man :( electrical issues are the worst.

trace your steps, find that loose wire ;)

I've just decided to completely strip down the bike. Trying to get my garage cleared out so I can set up the frame on a box or something to work on.

Back