My first XS400 build

Outlaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm new here, or i have been around a week or 2 but have spend my time here reading and reading :) Soooo much data and insperation.

My short story: I'm a 35 year old guy from Denmark (so sorry for shitty english in advance) and i recently bought my first XS. Its a 1980 XS400 2A2 (maybe german restricted, but i cant really tell. hope you can help with that) I havent owned a bike for a while, so it was time to get riding again. But after getting married and a kid and all, it would have to be on a budget ;)

My original plan was to make a classic bobber, then i turned a little towards cafe racer, and now i have looked at to many custom builds that i dont know anything anymore :laugh:

Untill last night. i was surfing the web for cool XS custom bikes, when it hit me. I have always liked the Harley Davidson 883 IRON sportster. It got the looks and style that i love. So i downloaded a sideview picture of the original 1980 XS400 and the new sportster, and flicked back and forth between them. The frame dimensions arnt that diffrent. So i think that it will be my rough sketch for my build :D

Yamaha%20XS%20400%2079.jpg

09_xl883_iron04.jpeg

So as my untrained novice eyes can tell, i need to lower the back with shorter springs, get a sportster tank, find a XS400 Special drum rearwheel (16") chop front fender, find a chopped rearfender or modify my own. And find a similar seat. And then ofcoarse mix it all together with some matt black paint and some hard work :laugh::D

Dont you think my goal is realistic?

If you have any tip and tricks that could help me with the conversion, please tell.

But so far i can tell that when i picked the bike up, it had been sitting a good while. Couldnt start, couldnt move (front brake was stuck) and looked a little sad in general.

So i fixed the brakes and lubricated the mechanism, cleaned the carbs, changed the oil and sparkplugs (old oil looked healthy) and gave it a quick checkup and charged the battery. The eletric starter didnt work ( i knew that) so i gave it a few kicks, and it fired up. And after some more fiddling, i went for a short test drive. It went pretty good. Got back, adjusted tyrepressure, checked for leaks and stuff and went for a longer and harder test drive. Check video :)

It went pretty well, besides from annoying handlebar vibrations at high RPM. Maybe the carbs need adjustment? And it got the good old charging problem. That concerns me a bit, because my wiring skills suck!

Anyhow, the next thing is getting it charging, legal and a MOT. Then the fun can really begin :thumbsup:

Pics of the "beast" :bike::laugh:

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0092-Kopi.jpg

Welcome from Canada!

That xs400 is ina whole lot better shape then my first one was thats forsure. Looks good, sounds good too!

Cant wait to see what you make of it. Yess to sportster tanks! Although so many people have them now.

Take a look at mine, you almost described it in your goal!

Hi there fellow European and welcome :)

Sounds like a plan to me. No experience here that kind of modding, but I'm sure a lot of people here can help. I believe nearly anything is possible if you're somewhat decent with bending steel and welding, and if you are willing to put in the work. Here's a link to some more maintenance tips.

Good luck on the build and fixing the charging issues. Oh and carb adjustment is never bad, neither is valve clearance adjustment and carb sync. I have some vibration at high RPM as well, but I'd just ride in a higher gear at that point :)

I've got a 16"mag rear wheel with drum break, and I'd LOVE to get my hands on an 18"rear drum mag (they never sold them in the states). I'll trade you if the shipping doesn't cost too much!!!!

Here's my wheel (tire is shot, bit everything else is ok, and the rotor you see is the front wheel sitting behind it):

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• ResizedImage951368287855123.jpg
    ResizedImage951368287855123.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 414
I've got a 16"mag rear wheel with drum break, and I'd LOVE to get my hands on an 18"rear drum mag (they never sold them in the states). I'll trade you if the shipping doesn't cost too much!!!!

Here's my wheel (tire is shot, bit everything else is ok, and the rotor you see is the front wheel sitting behind it):

Posted via Mobile

Ohh thats sound interesting! My wheel looks good to. Decent tyre also, with plenty of thread left. Wonder what the shipping cost will be? And if i will get a tax fee... Stupid danish tax pressure :(

Nice Bike BTW. Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I will this evening :bike:

So.... it looks like my dreams of having an 18" rear drum mag have been dashed. from a quick search it looks like it would cost about $350 to UPS them to Denmark, and more like $650 to ship one from there to the states.... I had no idea international shipping was so costly! :yikes:

Anyone know of a cheaper way?

Take a holiday and come visit me with your wheel under your arm ;) I got cold beers! :cheers::thumbsup: Its almost the same price haha

I will try and look into it

You know, I've never been to Denmark..... :) as for shipping prices, that's what I saw too. If we can find a way to get my cost under $150 US I'm in.... I fighure you can find a 16" mag drum over there cheaper than that though...

actually now that you mention it, do you know anyone making a trip to the states anytime soon? or anyone over here going to denmark? I'd be happy to meet up an trade that way... Hmmm... may the dreams just on life support!

Oh well... Keep me in mind & if you think of any way we could do it let me know (I'm in no hurry so a trade next year would still work for me...)

watched the video last night. Nice! hope to get that kind of sound from mine (already hacked the pipes so we'll see how loud it gets :)).

Back