New 14inch rear Suspention

agreen33

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So i just ordered this 14 inch rear suspension kit from dime city

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...nch-black-shock-absorbers-damper-32-0209.html

reason being is that when i would sit on the bike when the stock suspension was installed it had so much give it had a 2inch clearance between the back fender and the tire. So i figured i would add an inch and a half bringing the measurement of eye to eye from 12 1/2 to 14. problem is that it hit the muffler.... so i chopped that thing off. (not sure if i will have to rejet/tune) however now the problem is that the chain is hitting the swing arm. mind you the things got a little loose during the swap but i think even if i tighten the thing it will still sort of sit on the swing arm even when i sit on the bike. The suspention is so tall now that the center stand doesnt even work that well as the tire still hits the ground. should i return the suspension? tighten the chain? maybe it doesnt matter that much?
let me know what you think

If you tighten the chain, you may end up having it too tight when the swing arm is in line with its pivot. I'd suggest compressing the suspension to get the swing arm in line with its pivot and then adjusting the chain to have a small amount of slack. Then check your slack with the suspension unloaded and see if it still is rubbing anywhere.

I had to make a spring loaded chain tensioner to eliminate the chain rubbing on the frame of my bike after swapping in the rear suspension from a Ninja 250.

And you will have to rejet for the lack of mufflers...

I think your new shocks are too long, I'd send them back. Mine measure 12" on the softest setting and your new ones being 14 1/2" makes them 2 1/2 " longer. That is going to negatively effect your steering unless you plan to raise your front end some. If your existing shocks only leave 2" clearance with your tire it means they are shot. They likely have no oil left in them. A new pair of correct length shocks will give you the clearance and performance you want.

These bikes use a 12.5" stock shock. If you adjust the pre-load to it's firmest setting it should help with bottoming out. Also adjusting the pre-load up don't make them any longer just stiffer:wink2:

Attachments

• DSC02327.jpg
    DSC02327.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 57
12.5" center to center eye is the stock length for the sohc xs400.

I was thinking maybe going 13 or 13.20. Cause I would like to fit another person on ttherei am also 6.3 and 200 pounds. Would the new 12.5s work fine for my size and a second person or should I still consider bumping it up a little

I am running 14.5" rear shocks and my chain doesn't hit the swing-arm. It's close, but I still have a few millimeters. Do you actually measure the free play in the chain when you tighten it? I had to lengthen my side stand by quite a bit.

You may want to get a set with a higher spring rate/load. The stock shocks are not all that great for 2-up riding (neither is the bike:wink2:) Taller stocks will move weight higher and less stable than a setup with a low center of gravity:wink2:

Yes, higher center of gravity in the rear, but I found the overall effect was positive for me. Weight is slightly shifted to the front which adds some pre-load to the front forks. It improves braking a bit and turns in much faster.

OK Agreen 33 you are missing my point. It is false to think a longer shock will give you more suspension travel or handle greater weights. It is the spring that handles the weight issue. As an example; 10 1/2" shocks may have 3" of travel. 18" shocks may very well also have 3" of travel or even less. The shock length for your bike was determined by the engineers at Hamamatsu to give you the best ride comfort combined with stability and safety. Spend your money on buying quality suspension components of the correct length. A quality product like Progressive Suspension (and there are others)
will work with you to determine the correct spring rate for your desired needs.

Last edited:
Back