NEW guy

speedsville

XS400 Member
Reaction score
HI, new to the site.
I got a "FREE" 1980 400 Special in 2001 with 600 miles on it.
I rode it for a few years and got the mileage up to 2700.
Then parked it for a while and have a Honda VTX which I ride about
3000 miles a year.
But now I am getting the 400 out to bring it up to date and ride for quick
jumps around town.

The carbs were supposed to have been rebuilt in 2001 and it ran fine for a while
but now I am going to work on them myself since she won't idle.

Also I have an oil leak out of the lower end, I think it is the seal around the shifter.
More investigation needed, probably tomorrow.

Also need a battery does anyone have a suggestion for one which will last???
I had a JC Whittney one in it on a battery tender but it didn't last for beans.

Well hi again
Speedsville

Welcome!

Get a good sealed battery for about $60 and it should last many years. I have always like Yuasa but they aren't cheap. Good luck with those carbs and getting her back on the road.

Travis;
Thanks for the information.
I planed on working on it today but I had the grandkids till 3:30 and they wore me out.
Larry

... always invest in a good battery, worth every penny/cent
Welcome to the Forum. My battery isn't long for this world so I would be very interested in what you buy and how well it works. Hope you will post about it.

I recently tried to help a neighbour with the Harley 1200 she bought from her son. It had a very expensive sealed H-D battery which was dead as a door-nail. I was NOT impressed.
My old xs400 liquid acid and lead battery (which I had boiled dry earlier) was able to turn the HD dash lights and computer on and get the starter to try at least. The HD sealed battery? Useless. Makes me think I'd be better off buying another cheap old fashioned battery (they at least work) - only this time, be more careful and check the liquid level regularly and get a new trickle charger for it.

the only issue I would say with lithium batteries is that they die if charged more than 14.4 volts so electronic regulation is a must!

Lou Ranger, I've had lead acid batteries die in 2-3 years. The few sealed ones I've had lasted at least 6. Maybe I took better care of them since they were more expensive . :shrug:

Hi guys thanks for the input.
I am not a neophyte when it comes to batteries, but ones this small seem to
be a b### to find one that can really kick the motor over and last doing that for
more than one summer.
I have been using 2 different ones to jump start it, one a DIE HARD
(never been impressed with those, from my 1800 which is better than I thought.
And a 10 year old dry battery of the same size from a race car I used to; well race.

Both are 6 3/4" x 3 3/8" x 6", too big to fit but really kick.
I need one small enough to fit but good cranking ability and longevity.
So thanks if anyone has good advise for the one in you bike I will be happy to read of it.
I am going to go to a "Battery Warehouse" and check one out there.
The one good thing about living just south of Detroit is that there are some places that
have good inventory and knowledge about different products.
I will pass along what I find out too.
Larry

Lou Ranger, I've had lead acid batteries die in 2-3 years. The few sealed ones I've had lasted at least 6. Maybe I took better care of them since they were more expensive . :shrug:
I'm sure you take better care than did the lady's son with the Harley battery. Or me boiling the lead acid dry. If you think they are expensive there, you should see the prices up here. I will be extra careful with the next expensive one I get, rest assured.

Hi guys thanks for the input .... The one good thing about living just south of Detroit is that there are some places that have good inventory and knowledge about different products... Larry
Larry, I thought you lived in Detroit, not Windsor. :wink2:
Whatever you do, head north across that border and buy the battery in the U.S. :thumbsup:

Back