Now that she's ready for the road, brakes need attention.

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
First I want to take the time to thank everyone who helped me. My attitude has sucked for a few days because I really need this bike to work and I was so frustrated, but then all is well that ends well, so thank you fellow board members, you guys are top notch!:thumbsup:

So, my front caliper is functional and the pads are fairly new, but the retaining Allen screw is one with the caliper now, and I am not sure it can be removed. We tried air tools, heat, heat and wax, a manual impact driver, finally stripped the Allen hole and broke an easy out off in it. I begin to suspect that I will just have to buy a new caliper when it's time to change the pads, but I figure maybe someone here has a trick? It's at least worth a try, and like I said, I'm good to go as is for a while anyway, but still it would be nice to get the thing sorted properly.

If it's that difficult to remove your best bet is to weld another screw on to the old one.

That might be an idea! I have a friend with a wire feed welder and he might be able to do that. If I do I am going with a standard hex cap because that Allen crap is the pits!

There's nothing to grip! It's that Allen screw that retains the pads. That thing is recessed in. I may try the weld thing, but I think chances are I will just end up buying a used caliper. It is nice to have the luxury of time to run with what I got until I can get to it.

The bolt is sunken into the calliper body, which is why it has an Allen head.

I have had good luck removing stripped Allen head bolts using either a Torx bit or a triple square bit and hammering it into the bolt. Then using an impact driver and large hammer to break it free.

I beleive if you can get some trans fluid sqirted down there inside thread via a small oil can like a 3 in 1 oil can and lets those threads soak that bolt will break free.

A 50/50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone is the magic mixture for a penetrating lubricant from what I've read. The Acetone acts as a carrier and evaporates.

Be careful with this mix, it can damage paint and is very flammable.

You can also get a bit that's slightly smaller then the outside diameter of the screw, drill out the meat of the screw, then use a smaller flathead to tap the remaining outer part of the screw until you chip it all out.

By chance if you do have to buy another brake caliper,I dont know if it will work or not but by chance it does,Get one from a 1980-81 xs400,no allen screw just a pin with a pinch spring to hold everything in place and 2 bolts on the outside.Just got finsihed doing my brakes took me about 10 minutes.

"If I do I am going with a standard hex cap because that Allen crap is the pits!"

Mine works fine :D

Last edited:
I'd try more heat and penetrating oil. Even if you do get it loose there's a chance you will have beat up threads 's and a thread chaser would be in store for you. There is a possibility that you could find a thread insert for your application once you get it out. Best of luck

No it's still in there, the parts bike caliper is in use now. Not sure if I'll bother, that bolt itself has got to be damn hard to replace even if I could get it out? Of course they have to make some weird specialty part and not something that could easily be replace when this stuff happens.

Back