Polishing

you can clean the existing bolts up if you have a bench grinder with a wire wheel attachment...just remove one at a time and re-install...I dont think its required to thread lock them...but it doesn't hurt if you have some to do it anyway.

I have a 380 volt polisher whit a cotton brush en a cutting sisal brush, the sisal brush even cuts anodised aluminum no problem . The trick for good polishing is getting heat into the aluminium.

Did you replace all of your case screws on both sides? Mine are showing some rust. If so, do you need to lock-tite these screws when they are replaced?

I took mine out, half at a time (the oil was new) and wire wheel brushed, sprayed them semi-gloss black, and baked then at 210 degrees for a couple of hours....not kidding. I did not loc-tite them. So far, so good.

It will probably etch the aluminum and leave it dull looking but if you are stipping the paint or clearcoat off so you can polish it . It dosen't matter.

I thought oven cleaner would ruin aluminum?

When I bought my 79 back someone painted the sidecases flat black instead of polishing them.I used heavy duty oven cleaner to remove the paint and wet sanded them with emery cloth from 600 grit up to 2000 grit and then with a 3000 grit polishing cloth and then used mothers aluminum polish.A lot of work but the end result is worth it

Is everyone pulling the engine to paint, or is it possible to do a decent job with the motor still in? I am considering a touch-up job with everything still attached; I certainly don't expect it to be perfect, but anything is better than what I already have!

I plan to do mine motor in frame.I painted a 700 vulcan like that and it turned out nice.Just mask anything you do not want painted

I went simple on mine- cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the jugs, polished the side covers, adjuster caps and points cover.

beforebarrels.jpg

barrelsafter.jpg

HOLY COW DUDE! How in the world did you get into every nook and cranny? WOW!:shrug:

Hough, what did you do exactly to your valve cover/cylinders? They don't appear to be polished...did you sandblast them?

Scrubbed them clean, including scrubbing them with comet and "aquarium filter brushes" between every fin, then painted them with aluminum engine paint. I could have just cleared them, but I had the engine paint. Only the jugs and rocker cover are painted. Everything else is just cleaned up, including the crankcase.

Guess since nobody wants to answer I started using some extra fine sand paper and went to work today.I got some nice shine to it but not that chrome polished look.

Guess since nobody wants to answer I started using some extra fine sand paper and went to work today.I got some nice shine to it but not that chrome polished look.

I haven't had my motor apart so I can't answer that part but if you have a car buffer put the polishing wheel on it and Polish the cover in place:) its going to be a little hard around the edges but works good in the middle. I did a complete set of aluminum rims for my 65 falcon this way:wtf:

To get a mirror or chrome like finish, you will have to sand using finer and finer grits, working your way up to 2000 wet paper. Then you can polish for a perfect shine. Be sure to clear coat when you are done as aluminium will begin oxidizing immediately.

Dont know why ealier I didnt think about this when I asked but taking the cover off:doh: is something you would do while the engine is apart since its part of the crank case.Guess I was having a senior moment a gain!Anyway did some more wet sanding on the cover today ,what a messy job but it looks nice.

Back