Quick question: mspoke to mag swap

Generally they made things the same, this simplified things at the factory, think cheaper.
This way they could put mags on and sell it for more or put spokes on to keep the price down.
Now to be a bit more specific a 400s mag should fit right on your 400h. Being they are both drum brakes makes it easy. Adding a disc brake wheel to a drum brake bike is a bit more involved. Or doing the opposite, disc to drum.
If you want you can go to an online parts seller like boats,net and look through the listings to compare part numbers.
Leo

Will this work with a 80 XS400 also? Just remove the rear original spoke drum wheel and install a mag drum wheel from a xs400 Special? That simple for the wheel?

Yep. They simply swap over. Function is the same. The spacers that go between the sprocket and crush drive might be a little different but that's easy enough to sort out

That is great to hear! Thanks for the fast response! For the front wheel I would just have to get the master cylinder, caliper, hoses, and etc. Correct? Or do I need new forks too?

I've never messed with a front drum so I can't help you there. I do know that the fork will need to be changed because it needs the caliper mount, and you will most likely need the spacers from a non drum model.

You will need all the hardware. Axle, spacer, speedo drive, fork lowers.

Back