Rear wheel clearance

Jimbo31

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out a bit. I only have about 1-1/4 inch clearance between my rear tire and the flat seat frame. I am currently running the stock suspension and I weigh about 160lbs. I bottom it out when I go off a curb and am worried about not having enough clearance when riding. How much is stock clearance? I never looked, how much do you think is the minimum I need?

I realize I wont be normally going off curbs that was just my baseline test. The bike is a 1981 xs400, The suspension is already maxed on height so thats not an option.

thanks in advance!

What I see you saying, is your 34 year old bike suspension is shot, my first link I clicked onto was this one.
https://www.chromeworld.com/1981-yamaha-xs400-parts/suspension-and-shocks

I don't have a clue to what the minimum needed is, I would guess somewhere is a shock info, which would give you the actual travel distance of the piston.

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...1981-yamaha-xs400-xs400sh-shocks/pc3?m=147126

I found these in the manual.

Hope that helps, the manual I used was downloaded, in the lab, some posted that he would email anyone a copy, then that became a full time time volunteer job, so he found a site that would host that 45 meg file. so if you haven't downloaded it yet, please look it up, and downloaded it. The original owner has long stopped emailing it to anyone.:rolleyes: (it pops up on my list because I did respond to the thread, and anytime any doesn't read the final pages, where there is multiple statements for the requester to "Read the final Note" before you show up on our radar again.

Attachments

• CutOutFromManual_Yama_XS_400_H_SH_ServiceManual_for_suspension.png
    CutOutFromManual_Yama_XS_400_H_SH_ServiceManual_for_suspension.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 227
  • CutOutFromManual_Yama_XS_400_H_SH_ServiceManual_for_Travel_suspension.png
    CutOutFromManual_Yama_XS_400_H_SH_ServiceManual_for_Travel_suspension.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 237
Sounds like you bike has been modified as the stock setup should never bottom out. Post some pics of the bike so we can see what you have.

Back