Stock airbox install

So... I had it in, figured out the carb boots would be easier to remove with the engine down, so, did that, attached it all up, fired it up, ran it to the gas station and back (15 minutes maybe). Parked. My wife and her best friend were going to putter in a parking lot (my wife wants instruction from her friend, not me... go figure)... and the bike fires, idles, but any twist of the throttle just kills it. Sounds the same as if you were to have it idle, and crank the choke on. after mucking around for about 15 minutes, I noticed that there's gas draining from the airbox (well, it actually drips off the swingarm, but it comes from the box). Is this a case of a vaccuum issue from the air filter (which isn't very good, I have one on order), or running too rich, or both, or neither?

ugh... sorry for the complication, but I have no clue.

Sounds like the floats in the carbs are either set too high, are stuck open, or have sunk. Regardless, they are not shutting off the fuel as they should. Nor is your petcock for that matter, unless you had it in the Pri position (Priming).

Hey Dave,

would that have been a change from adding the stock air box back on? Not really looking forward to ripping this thing apart again, but so be it if that's the case. The petcock was in pri when this all happened.

So you figure I have to pull the carbs?

You should not be leaving your petcock in the Pri position unless you are trying to fill the carbs. Either leave it in the Run position where it is operated by engine vacuum, or switch it off.

I'd suggest checking the float levels. All you need is a short length of clear vinyl tube and a screw driver. The instructions are in the manual. If the level is at or above the gasket, then the carbs are coming off...

that's odd...

my petcock has Res (top) - Pri (right) and On (bottom) - when "on" - no fuel flows, as if someone was dyslexic when building the thing. Where should mine be? I've left it on PRI when riding, as otherwise it's off or on reserve...

On. There should be a vacuum line connected to the petcock that goes to the left intake runner. When vacuum is applied, the petcock will deliver fuel. Or it should anyways...

Just take those carbs apart and give them a cleaning. Make sure you pay extra attention to the floats and float needles. Then re-assemble and check your fuel bowl fuel level.

I think all DOHC bikes have a petcock with ON, RES and PRI like yours. Mine does, at least. You can check if yours works on your engine's vacuum when you disconnect the fuel line. Fuel should flow out freely in PRI setting, and flow out easily when on RES or ON whilst starting the bike, so by letting the startermotor turn the engine. All settings should actually work without flooding into the airbox, if your floats are working correctly. But it is best to run your bike on ON or RES setting, just to be safe.

Willem - ran it today for about an hour with it in "ON" - and it was fine (well, not really, but better). new air filter is on its way, then carb cleaning and tuning time. yay me.

Thanks for your help guys!

Back