Summer Storage

agreen33

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I am from Savannah Georgia so the summers here get very hot and humid. I am Keeping my bike in a buddys garage. I am just wondering if there is anything i should be doing to my 1981 xs 400 to keep it properly stored. It will only be stored from June 1st till September 1st.

I need an oil and filter change anyway, so i was planning on doing that before storage.

I would fill it with gas with a preservative in it and run the engine long enough to have the treated gas all the way through the engine. This next thing may not be necessary, but I do it- I drain the fuel even if treated and put fresh in before starting. I keep treated gas in the tank and through the system to keep moisture and corrosion out, but the gas is still not as good as fresh gas and if it has ethanol, may still pick up some moisture in your climate. Dump the treated gas in a car with 15 gallons of fresh and put fresh gas in the bike after storage.

Also, storing with the chain freshly lubed isn't a bad idea. If you store it on the tires, put a few extra pounds in the tires, if only the front is on the ground, then only in that one, but remember to adjust before riding.

If it were me, I would remove the battery and put it on a smart charger.

Finally, I would store it clean with a breathable cover...no sheets of plastic.

Seems like the wrong time to store, but sometimes you just have things to do. ;)

Me having lived in that part of the country I know how hot the summers can be down there.I know having riding gear is essential but personaly I would have to make some sacrifices on my clothing just to be comfortable to ride.

Back