Time to start a bobber build thread

ratrodder69

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
well It's been a while since I actually posted any thing on this sight, but since me and my boy (turns 16 in Sep) have made a ton of progress on his bike I figured it's about time to do a build thread!!!! this is going to be his first bike and our first build together as well as my first ground up. (I always bought new frames but its time to man up!!!)
so heres the goal build a bad little bobber that anyone would be proud to own and build it for under $500 bucks including donor bike!!!! I found a xs400 complete with parts bike for 50 bucks and so the count is on. we got the bike running after rebuilding the carbs and so started planning the build. we have been building the frame jig and finally started cutting the bike apart 3 weeks ago. now i will try to catch up posting pics if i can figure it out!!!!

ok lets see if this works this is the first picture I took of the bike after I modified my old buell front forks to fit so I can determin ride height before shortening them :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well that worked lets do some more

set the ride height then cut and beat the rear peg bracket to touch the swing arm and welded her up so we could cut away the tail section

ok taking this opportunity while welds are cooling to do a final update so far we only have the $50 from the bike and $60 worth of 1" DOM tubing in her all the rest is plate that I had laying around and tubing that was given to the cause by friends and three weeks working with my boy and having something to dream about together :bike::thumbsup: hopefully we will get it on its feet tonight so we can move on tomorrow to bars and seat building and placement then the excitement should hit the fan!!!!

Thanks guys I knew when I took the tank off that this thing was gonna have to be cut way up but a guy has to do what a guy has to do :D:D any way I finally got back to a computer and figured I better do an update

finished welding up frame and got it home

Threw the motor in just to make sure it compressed the front end enough. :D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:I love it when a plan comes together!!!

got so carried away yesturday I didn't even do in progress pics tacked up the bars and built the seat and then cut the tank down to a shape I can live with:bike::bike: anyway thats where I'm at today gonna work somemore on the tank tonight and hopefully get the seat pivot built and maybe the seat spring mount. I better get moving before the little missus catches me she's starting to feel neglected:shrug:

been working all week trying to get the tank fit and welded and am getting close turned and threaded the neck and cap after work today
and here's a few pics of the tank with a original so you can compare the two
ya it's just a little tank luvin :shrug:

and one with the neck sitting in place. It's a little tall now but I'll trim her down.

Looks good so far.
Thanks man I think it will come out looking good definitly not bad for a first vehicle:D

your making some good progress.
ya got the frame jig finished 3 weeks ago and haven't got more than 5 hours sleep a night since :bike::bike: me and the boy are having a ball but the wife's about to kill me. she wasn't happy that I found a pair of kz400 s yesterday for the next project either at this rate I won't have to watch tv until spring :D
What color will it be?

he hasn't decided on a paint scheme yet I told him the sky's the limit he can paint it any color he wants as long as its made by Krylon. remember this thing is on a tight budget and I just put another 5 bucks int aluminum for the gas cap so what are we up to like $125 and a bunch of scavanged steel and a few road sighns so far :D:D:thumbsup:

and of course a very understanding boss that lets me use the machine shop and welder when i need to

Last edited:
Back